Anybody using the kmix?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Anybody using the kmix?

Post by mesayre »

Hey all,

Shopping around and thinking of getting one of these KMI k-mix interfaces, and wondering if anybody here is using them with DP.

How's latency? How's it sound? How is it using the kmix as a control surface?

Thanks!
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anybody using the kmix?

Post by bayswater »

Looks good at first (The "replace this with this" shot shows exactly what I had a few years ago).

But look at the documentation. As with a lot of controllers, DP is not in the list of recommended apps. From a quick scan of the manual I didn't see anything about the protocol it uses, nor anything listing limitations or compatibility when used with a DAW not on their list.

I did see images of "code" on a computer screen in the setup sections. And a section on dealing with firmware update errors.

So a few warning signals that need to be checked out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Well, it says it does MCU, so it ought to be OK with DP as far as that's concerned.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

mesayre wrote:Well, it says it does MCU, so it ought to be OK with DP as far as that's concerned.
That's good. I didn't catch that.

I have a couple of things that are supposed to emulate MCU. They work well in Logic, but the Mute, Record, Pan, and bank select have been inconsistent in DP across versions. The BCF2000 for example, is recognized in Logic as a BCF2000, and everything works as expected. In DP, it is accepted as a generic MCU, not all the same controls work. It would be worth contacting them and asking if they've tested it with DP and what worked and what didn't.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

That's probably wise. Thank you.