Is my keyboard MIDI mapping off?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
soulicious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Is my keyboard MIDI mapping off?

Post by soulicious »

I'm a new convert from the Sonar world learning DP and things are going well, but I seem to have gotten stuck with something I thought would be easy. I connected my MIDI keyboard and set up a virtual instrument, but no sound! I can play the virtual instrument within itself, and I can drag a MIDI file into the virtual instrument's MIDI track and it will trigger sound, but my MIDI keyboard doesn't seem to work.

After some research, I can see on the MIDI Monitor window that my MIDI device is listed and when I play a note, I see activity on channel 1 of my device. So far so good.

However, it seems like what's happening is my keyboard note keys (the regular black and whites) are controlling transport buttons and enabling record, etc. Does this seem right? Any ideas or suggestions? If I go back into Sonar, I can play instruments as I normally would with this keyboard.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For what it's worth, here's my gear:
[*]Cakewalk A-500 Pro keyboard (same as the Roland A-500PRO)
[*]Windows 10
[*]DP 9.5
[*]RME UCX
soulicious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Is my keyboard MIDI mapping off?

Post by soulicious »

It turns out that some of the Commands were set to be triggered by MIDI notes, so once I cleared those the mapping problem went away!

That said, I still had a really hard time with the rest of the configuration of my MIDI keyboard. After several days worth of research, I found the answer and thought it might be helpful to include the extra steps I took to get it going. This list assumes you already took care of the basics of setting up the MIDI keyboard (i.e.: you probably have done it before with a different DAW or keyboard).
  • Open the Commands window, open all the menus and scroll down to find any Commands that have MIDI notes assigned to them. Delete the MIDI notes by double clicking the note and deleting the text.
  • Make sure the input source of your MIDI track is either "any" or is set to a the correct MIDI instrument. To make it say "any", turn of Multirecord in the studio menu.
  • Make sure the output source of your MIDI track is the correct VI.
  • Turn on MIDI Patch Thru in the Studio menu and set it to Auto Channelize.
  • Record enable the MIDI track. (This is absolutely necessary. Only one MIDI track can be record enabled at a time, so you have to make sure the correct one is record enabled.)
That should do it. Hope it helps!