Presets/Patches for Softube Modular - can't find/don't work

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Presets/Patches for Softube Modular - can't find/don't work

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning!

I'm using DP 9.5 on Windows 10 and am testing/validating that my VSTs all work correctly.

I am having a hard time with Softube Modular -- I cannot find the presets/patches within DP 9.5. [FYI, it works with no issues in Reason 9.5 and Reason 10 under Windows 10]

There doesn't seem to be anyway to call up/load Modular presets.

The Modular VST is loading fine; I can add modules, etc. I just can't find how to get the presets to work or load.

FYI, Modular 'internally' does not have a preset browser like Hybrid 3 or Absynth where preset browsing is part of the VST's UI.

Modular's presets are individual .vstpreset files.

Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks!

Rich
rp88.2

Re: Presets/Patches for Softube Modular - can't find/don't w

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

A quick update -- the presets/patches for Softube modular do not show up in DP 9.5 under Mac OS when using the VST format. However, under Mac OS, if the AU format is used, the presets/patches do show up.

I would say, there is something awry in the way DP is handling VSTs with both Windows and Mac OS.

Happy New Year

Rich
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

I have been bitten by this before. DP does not necessarily accept the presets of a VST, depending on how they're provided. If I recall, DP can't extract presets that are embedded within a VST's dll - it needs external files saved in your MAS preset folder. I don't use Modular, but it's possible this is what's going on. It's frustrating! But there is a solution.

There is a way to get them out where they can be read by DP. There's an old thread that describes how to use VSTHost to extract the presets into FXP files. Assuming you're on Windows, then you'll need to put them in the right place in Documents->MAS Presets. If in doubt about the folder structure, or if the folder for Modular doesn't exist in that location, you can try saving a preset using DP's preset menu and the folder you need will get created.

Here's the thread with instructions: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277776

Hope it helps...

PS: Don't forget to back that folder up!
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thanks for the reply! I will try this over the weekend when I get a break.

At least the presets are working for the AU on Mac. Just want to get them working under Windows.

Thank you again for the thread with tips!

All the best,

Rich
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Thanks for the help!

I was able to use VSTHOST to export all the presets into .fxp files.

I then copied them into the the presets directory:
C:\Users\xx\Documents\MAS Presets\Softube\Modular [10 out]

Started DP and I can now see the Presets in the local directory.

They seem to work.

I will let MOTU and Softube know about this workaround/hack -- maybe there is something they need to do to their VST hosting or the VST for it to work.

But at least it's usable for now. Thanks again!

Rich
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Glad that worked out for you.

Cheers,
Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB