ASIO Error with DP9 Demo HELP!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HelloMotu
Primary DAW OS: Windows

ASIO Error with DP9 Demo HELP!

Post by HelloMotu »

Hi! I'm having the following problem with the demo of Digital Performer 9.

I am running the Windows version on Windows 10. When I launch DP9, after scanning all plugins, I get to the page where I select New Empty Project, and the programs asks me to put a name to the project and the location where I want to save it. After I click "OK", I get the error "The audio hardware is in an invalid or unsupported mode. Check that the device is not in use by another application or Windows. ASIODriverWrapper.cpp, 122". It has to do with the ASIO driver. If I select he Windows driver, I have no problems and can use the program, but the error shows if I want to use ASIO as the hardware audio driver. My soundcard is an E-MU 0404 USB. It probably will work if I use the Asio4All driver, but that's not as efficient as using the soundcard's ASIO driver. I've tried everything (restarting the system and making sure no other program is using the soundcard).
I hope you can help me out.

Thank you!
Last edited by HelloMotu on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HelloMotu

Re: ASIO Error with DP9 Demo HELP!

Post by HelloMotu »

Anyone?
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

I too have been having an issue with DP 9.5 demo on Windows 10 with ASIO. I don't know if this is similiar, but here is what happened to me.

I found, is that I was getting errors and unable to use the ASIO drivers if the Windows sample rate for ASIO driver was different from what was set in DP 9.5. The hardware interface setup in DP 9.5 would give me errors.

In Windows 10 go to All Settings -> Devices -> scroll down on the right to Sound Settings then select properties on the device. The Advanced tab allows to set sample rate.

Once I set the sample rates the same, in my case 48kHz, I was able to use the ASIO driver.

However, I found that DP 9.5 seems fragile adding clips that are different sample rates than what the hardware drivers are set at. I would have DP 9.5 hang and have to 'end task'.

Hope the above is helpful. My next step is to reach out to MOTU support.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Reaching out to MOTU is probably a good bet, but maybe other Windows users will chime in here.

I must say, username "HelloMotu" gave rise to a smile. :D
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

I've done some more investigation with a few interfaces/drivers (ASIO and WIndows internal) on my Dell laptop.

ASIO seems to be VERY driver dependent.

FYI: I'm evaluating DAWs that run on both Windows and Mac OS X (Reason is my scratchpad/quick production DAW). The PC is for mobile production/mxing, so I only use output; not recording.

Here are my findings:
1) ASIO: Realtek ASIO (included as part of Dell Laptop
Problematic, even with sample rates set the same.

2) ASIO: Roland UA-10 ASIO driver
Works as expected.

3) Windows Audio: built-in laptop interface
Works ok.

4) Windows Audio: Generic USB driver (using with Teac Hi-Res interface)
Works ok in 16-bit depth even though the interface is capable of 96kHz/24-bit).

As mentioned above and in the Getting Started Guide the following (pg 67):
When using 'Windows Audio' - Digital Performer uses the default audio device chosen in the Windows Sound control panel. For best audio quality and lowest latency, go to the Advanced tab of the properties dialog for the default audio device and set the sample rate so that it matches the same rate as the DP project.

Never had to do that with Reason, but after setting the rates the same, the Windows Audio seemed to work ok.

Time to reach out to MOTU support for the 'Windows Audio' issues
HelloMotu

Post by HelloMotu »

Hey, thanks everyone for your replies. I've tried matching the Hz, but no luck. I guess the E-mu asio drivers are not supported.
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

That is what I concluded about the Realtek ASIO and DP 9.5

Did you reach out to MOTU support? I would be interested in their thoughts.

That's next week's project for me.
rp88.2

Post by rp88.2 »

So, I [think I may have] solved my Windows Audio problem and you may want to try this...

I installed ASIO4ALL and am using it with both the Realtek (built-in) interface and my Teac USB audio interface.

I am now getting glitch-free output when playing audio in DP 9.5.

The default Windows audio drivers allow exclusivity and sharing plus do a lot of internal sample converting and DP 9.5 doesn't seem to like that.

It seems that DP9.5 wants an exclusive HW ASIO driver -- ASIO4ALL gives that. In the Getting Started Guide, it states DP works best with ASIO drivers, but doesn't provide the specifics. In ASIO4ALL manual is states that it mimics an exclusive HW driver.