Very Strange Audio Problem!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Very Strange Audio Problem!

Post by jsg »

Hello,

I am running DP9.5 on Windows 7-64bit SP1 with the MOTU 1248 interface. My DAW has 16GB of memory and an Intel i7 CPU.

Everything runs fine except every now and then when I record I get audio distortion that ruins the recording. It is not clipping, I am 100% certain of that. It doesn't matter the source of the recording, it can be a live musician via a microphone or it could a rendering of a software synth or it could be simply recording MIDI or audio tracks to a new track. The really frustrating thing is the total randomness and intermittent nature of this anomaly.

It happens in Sonar as well as DP (rules out the software). I even swapped out my DAW and tried recording on a laptop and it occasionally happens when I do that as well, so it's most likely not bad USB ports on my DAW (I've tried all of them).

Bad cables can be ruled out as I swapped out the USB cable from the 1248 to the DAW and I swapped out the Ethernet cable connecting the 1248 to the DAW.

I have experimented with all my audio buffer settings, and my latency reporter shows my DAW to have excellent latency, well within the threshold for pro audio.

The latest MOTU 1248 driver is installed as well as the latest Windows updates.

I am suspecting that the 1248 driver has a bug in it, or, there's some obscure incompatibility with Windows 7, but MOTU doesn't think so. I have even swapped out the 1248 for a new one (mine was under warranty). Perhaps the driver gets corrupted somehow, I reinstalled the driver several times, but the problem eventually returns.

My next step (and most drastic!) would be to upgrade my DAW hardware and run Windows 10. I hate to do that because everything else is running great and I don't even know if that will fix the issue.

Thanks for reading all of this. If somebody can think of something I haven't tried yet, I am all ears!!

Best,
Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Very Strange Audio Problem!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check your RAM. Not sure of what PC utility to use but it can be the cause of such problems.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Very Strange Audio Problem!

Post by jsg »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Check your RAM. Not sure of what PC utility to use but it can be the cause of such problems.
Good idea, I will do that...
Thanks,
Jerry