DP9 crashes on exit, ASIO stuck

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MatFluor
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9 crashes on exit, ASIO stuck

Post by MatFluor »

Hey there,

new on DP, migrated from Sonar.

So far I like DP's workflow and I'm finding my way quite nicely, but one thing is pretty hard to digest:

Equipment: Custom Win 10 Pro computer, Steinberg UR22mkII Interface connected via onboard USB
Situation: I finished working and exit DP, either through clicking "X" or vie the File Menu -> Exit
Effect: DP closes and gets to the "New Project" window, all grey, unresponsive. On clicking it Windows reports that it hangs and if it should force-close it, on choosing force-close, the window is gone. When reopening DP, it either doesn't reopen or says the ASIO driver is still in use. No crashlogs are generated
What I tried: Exiting the process via Task Manager (if DP doesn't start, DP.exe still is in the tasks), I cannot end the process. If there is no process, DP reports an ASIO error (no output), meaning it is still in use. Cannot find what uses it. Tried reinstalling DP, removing the MOTU Folder (with auth etc. in it) - issue persists.
What works:After rebooting the computer I can use it normally.

Has anybody experienced something like this?
mesayre

Re: DP9 crashes on exit, ASIO stuck

Post by mesayre »

Have you updated the drivers for your interface?

Just as an experiment, perhaps try running selecting Windows Audio in DP to see if you still get a hang.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
MatFluor

Post by MatFluor »

mesayre wrote:Have you updated the drivers for your interface?

Just as an experiment, perhaps try running selecting Windows Audio in DP to see if you still get a hang.
Yes, drivers are up-to-date and most current firmware. Same hang happens when I use Windows Audio. Only time where it doesn't happen is when MOTU-MIDI is selected.
MatFluor

Post by MatFluor »

Interestingly enough - after I let it sit for an hour after closing, it managed to self close and release the drivers.

I haven't restarted yet, but so far the issue is gone - if the behavior stays after rebooting, I'll mark this topic as solved.
MatFluor

Post by MatFluor »

Still no resolution - after a reboot the same problem appeared again.

I also tried Windows Audio with the same result. On day it worked flawlessly, the next day it acted up again. I even yesterday wiped my system and reinstalled from the ground up - issue still there on a fresh install of everything.

I opened a ticket and am in conversation with a MOTU tech - as far as I see I'm the only one encountering this issue?
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Hmm, yep that sounds like something to talk to them about. MOTU actually picks up the phone, if you want to call them. Might lead to a quicker resolution.

I seem to vaguely remember that there could be some power settings that can cause issues - like if your USB controller goes into low-power mode that might be a problem. You could disabling that.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
MatFluor

Post by MatFluor »

mesayre wrote:Hmm, yep that sounds like something to talk to them about. MOTU actually picks up the phone, if you want to call them. Might lead to a quicker resolution.

I seem to vaguely remember that there could be some power settings that can cause issues - like if your USB controller goes into low-power mode that might be a problem. You could disabling that.
Thanks - Yeah, but a call could be pretty expensive ;-) (Considering I'm calling them from Switzerland) but if their support don't get back to me again today or tomorrow I'll call them.

Hmm - interesting about the USB thing - gotta look into that.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rp88.2 »

Good evening:

A couple things come to mind...

Is your Windows system fully up-to-date with all current chipset & hardware drivers? (thought I would ask)
Does Windows audio work correctly with other programs like iTunes, Audacity, YouTube in a browser, etc.

Have you tried ASIO4ALL?

I've done some investigating with Windows audio and DP and have found that DP is sensitive to the ASIO drivers. The ASIO driver has to be properly written to support exclusivity.

In my testing:
1) ASIO4ALL driver: Works as expected with Realtek & Intel SST HW (built-in laptop interfaces)
2) MOTU Ultralite AVB ASIO driver: Works as expected
3) Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 ASIO driver: works as expected
4) Realtek ASIO driver: Does NOT work with DP 9.5
5) Roland Mobile UA-M10 ASIO driver: Works as expected

I've found that when a HW driver doesn't work with DP but works fine under Windows programs, such as, iTunes, Audacity, browser audio (SoundClound, YouTube), etc. that using ASIO4ALL works pretty well with DP 9.5.

Hope you find this useful!

All the best,

Rich