Routing issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
highpark
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Routing issue

Post by highpark »

Hello all,
I'm having a routing issue with my motu 8m. I have my DAW routed so my interface's analog outs feed my two monitor speakers. How come when I turn down the volume on my desktop it doesn't affect the output of the monitors? I could mute the desktop volume and it still plays.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Routing issue

Post by HCMarkus »

In Mac OS think there is a "Core Audio Volume Control Enable" setting in System Preferences or the MOTU driver that does the trick. Look for something similar in your system.

Best solution IMO is a dedicated monitor controller on your desk that puts volume control at your fingertips.
highpark

Post by highpark »

Does anybody know what this control would be in windows?
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

highpark wrote:Hello all,
I'm having a routing issue with my motu 8m. I have my DAW routed so my interface's analog outs feed my two monitor speakers. How come when I turn down the volume on my desktop it doesn't affect the output of the monitors? I could mute the desktop volume and it still plays.
In Windows you have several audio subsystems in play simultaneously.

Your system audio uses the old (since Win98) MME system, OR the since-XP WDM/Kernel Streaming (WDM/KS) OR the since-Vista WASAPI. WASAPI has been greatly modernized in Windows 10 to be nearly ASIO-like. One selects in the Windows Audio Control Panel which is the default used for system sounds like the browser audio and media players (though many media players can be set to use a different output device than the default device via their settings).

Your DAW is likely setup to use the most direct avenue to your interface, ASIO, which requires special drivers be written by the manufacturer since it bypasses all the general-use Windows drivers mentioned above. ASIO is not affected by the other Windows systems (since it bypasses them) and so the volume control and mute in the Windows system audio have no effect.

I hope that clears that mystery up for you!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
highpark

Post by highpark »

You rock! Thanks so much!