How to rename soundbite files?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to rename soundbite files?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Is there a way to rename soundbites in DP so that the associated .wav file changes names as well? Whenever I rename a soundbite, the new name is in the soundbite list and on the soundbite itself, but when I "Show in Explorer" the .wav file never changed. On top of that, when merging a soundbite that I've edited, the name changes back to the track title.

I need to title multiple soundbite clippings in a single track.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to rename soundbite files?

Post by FMiguelez »

You can change the name of the parent audio file right there in the soundbites window. Look for the Parent Audio File name towards the right of the list (you may need to scroll).

Changes there will be reflected in the Finder as well. If you change them in the Finder (instead of DP), DP MIGHT still find them, but I-m not completely sure.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

What about when cutting up the parent file and needing to rename the newly cut soundbites and have those reflected in Finder/Explorer? For example, I am sampling a piano and have each note recorded in one long audio file. I'd like to clip each note into a separate soundbite file, and have each clipping renamed.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I think you also need to always rename the soundbite in addition to the parent file, unfortunately. This can be done quickly by copying the name, option click on the old SB name, and paste it there, in the SBs window.
But that can be avoided by naming the track the way you want in the first place. That way everything will match automatically.

I would investigate if there's a way to mass-rename soundbites in one go.

If you set it this way, you can make the newly recorded material match the name of the track, so all you have to do to name things properly before hand is to rename the track just before you record.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
flextone

Post by flextone »

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm having a real head-scratching moment here.

I've been a DP user for a few years now and never gave this much thought. Let's say I record a 5 minute long soundbite of me playing something, and then chop two 10 second parts out of that parent file. Now, I want to delete the parent file and keep only these small samples in a separate folder. I can't find a way to do this decoupling of parent/child files. The parent file has to be present even though I don't need it anymore, and it can be 30 minutes long for a 2 second sample that I actually want to save.

What am I missing? Should I be bouncing instead of exporting? I thought that the mini menu in the soundbite panel > "new audio file from selected"... might do it but this is a cumbersome way of doing this as it forces me to delete the original file manually in the finder, moving files around in the finder etc.

So, can't I snip a (parent) soundbite, export a few pieces and delete the original parent file?

Thanks
R
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The "Parent" is the audio file, the "off-spring" are defined regions (as you may well know).

I usually define all the regions I want, and export them (i.e., export selected). Then delete the parent or the project depending on the situation.

Your method should work. Depending on how you work you can use "Select Unused" and "Compact selected" which will only keep things that are used in a sequence window. So if you edit in the Tracks Overview or Graphic Editor, and you know that that window contains everything you need, then you can SELECT UNUSED first, and delete, then select what's left and use Compact Selected to get rid of any parts of the audio that aren't showing. The additional time you add in the Compact command allows for extra range for crossfades if you have any.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
flextone

Post by flextone »

stubbsonic wrote:The "Parent" is the audio file, the "off-spring" are defined regions (as you may well know).

I usually define all the regions I want, and export them (i.e., export selected). Then delete the parent or the project depending on the situation.
I think this is exactly how I ho about it and it doesn't work. I'll try to delete some "parents" when not inside DP and see if the child regions are then alive and well when I open DP and try to import them. Perhaps I was testing this while in DP with the child regions imported, and when I saw they got greyed out when deleting a parent file I panicked. If this is the case, thanks and sorry :surrender:

Edit:

Yeah so it worked, but the naming association is still there when importing through DP's Import dialog. Where is this association made? Now my audio file has two names, without the actual parent file even being on my computer. Weird behaviour if you ask me. I understand the logic behind it, but I wish DP wouldn't save things I don't tell it to, and then insist on referencing back to them.
flextone

Post by flextone »

So, while deleting the parent file obviously works, the problem is that when I import audio files into DP it reverts back to the parent file name and creates new names based on it completely disregarding the names I have chosen.

Let's say the original parent name was called "papa", and I cut it up into three parts and named them "mama 1", "mama 2" and "mama 3". When I import them into DP, they will be named papa 1, papa 1#2 and papa1#3 or 3#.2 or something. I'm currently working on a large project with soundbites named to remind my what they are. But if I name a file "saxophone 2" and import it to DP later, it will be renamed audio 2 - 3#2 or mg for merged or whatever. I know I can rename the parent file, but that's not what I'm after. I want each soundbite to have its own independent name, and to have that name show up whenever I call on that file like it would in any computer program ever.

Furthermore, when I open up a clean project and import 10 soundbites I would like to get those 10 soundbites (named as I named them), but I usually get 20 soundbites sequentially named a.1 a.2 a.2#3 etc. I honestly don't understand the logic behind this. Where are my file names? Why can't I create an audio file, name it, and go on with my life? :deadhorse:

How do you guys manage to stay organised with this strange naming behaviour? Seriously asking...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Try bringing them in using the Load function. This is for bringing in different things from other projects-- chunks, audio, etc.

Go to the File Menu, and choose the Load... command.

Navigate to the project you want to pull from. You can choose chunks, and/or tick the box that says "Load all Soundbites", or "Load soundbites from selected chunks".

I'm fairly certain it will duplicate the audio files in the new project's audio folder (and not refer to the source project's audio folder).

On one hand, it doesn't let you hand-pick the audio, but perhaps it will keep the kids' names straight.

I remember my dear old mum, after she imported us, would call us "#1, go wash your hands! #2, you call that gain? Go normalize yourself!! #3, snap to!"
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:
Navigate to the project you want to pull from. You can choose chunks, and/or tick the box that says "Load all Soundbites", or "Load soundbites from selected chunks".

I'm fairly certain it will duplicate the audio files in the new project's audio folder (and not refer to the source project's audio folder).
Yes, but only as long as the relevant preference is set that way, which I'm almost sure is the default if unchanged.
stubbsonic wrote: I remember my dear old mum, after she imported us, would call us "#1, go wash your hands! #2, you call that gain? Go normalize yourself!! #3, snap to!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Normalize, or you'll get snipped, or possibly cut!

Some of my parents instructions got recorded into my SSD (or is it HD?) with the high noise floor of 8 bits with lotsa distortion... Never got dithered! :lol: