Trouble with MOTU Ethno in Windows10 ... won't load up...?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Bansaw
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Trouble with MOTU Ethno in Windows10 ... won't load up...?

Post by Bansaw »

I recently updated Win10 with the Creators update.
Since then my MOTU stuff won't work.
I finally got MOTU Symphonic to work in UVIWorkstation but MOTU Ethno will not.

I tried Ethno.ufs in UVI workstation. Won't load, invalid file!
And just the regular .dat file with the VST. Says,"This software requires installation of a device driver TPkd and a reboot..."

I tried tech support but they say "upgrade to Ethno2". No way I am spending a further $200. Motu dropped the ball on this one.

Ethno standalone does not work, neither does VST in Reaper etc.
Help!

(It was actually working ok before the Win10 creator upadte last month.)
Sonar Home 6 XL, Toshiba Sat L500, Win7, 4GB, 500GB, MOTU Ethno, Studiologic 990Xp, UM-1EX MIDI interface, UA-1EX usb sound card
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trouble with MOTU Ethno in Windows10 ... won't load up..

Post by mikehalloran »

I believe that support has given you the correct answer. When they say that an old version no longer works but a current version does, that is not "dropping the ball". It's progress.

If you are not going to upgrade, the app, then you must figure out how to downgrade Win 10. Good luck with that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Bansaw

Post by Bansaw »

mikehalloran wrote:I believe that support has given you the correct answer. When they say that an old version no longer works but a current version does, that is not "dropping the ball". It's progress.
If you are not going to upgrade, the app, then you must figure out how to downgrade Win 10. Good luck with that.
Dropped the ball in the sense that I have Ethno1 which is pretty much the core of what Ethno2 is, and they want me to pay $200 extra.
Plus, even if I do pay $200 now, how can I be sure that they won't suddenly drop Ethno2 when the next version of WIndows comes out. This give me no confidence whatsoever in investin more in their plugins.
When all they need to do is convert the .dat file so it would work in UVI Worskstation, just like they did with Symphonic.
I don't think I'll by another of their products.
Sonar Home 6 XL, Toshiba Sat L500, Win7, 4GB, 500GB, MOTU Ethno, Studiologic 990Xp, UM-1EX MIDI interface, UA-1EX usb sound card
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Then don't buy anything. The loss of functionality is yours, not MOTU's nor mine.

People have been howling at the moon over this as long as computers have existed. It's a non-issue and the sense of entitlement that, because you paid for something once, it should always work for no extra charge is as boring a subject as it is old.

The choice is yours: upgrade or lose out. At least you have a choice in that a current, working version exists. I would sympathize if it was an end of life issue as with some MOTU products.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Bansaw

Post by Bansaw »

mikehalloran wrote:Then don't buy anything. The loss of functionality is yours, not MOTU's nor mine.

People have been howling at the moon over this as long as computers have existed. It's a non-issue and the sense of entitlement that, because you paid for something once, it should always work for no extra charge is as boring a subject as it is old.

The choice is yours: upgrade or lose out. At least you have a choice in that a current, working version exists. I would sympathize if it was an end of life issue as with some MOTU products.
We're talking of an initial outlay of over $200.
I was employed as a programmer team-leader of a software house in the U.K. for years. You support the product well, and upgrade if the product if its not difficult to do so.
For example, the MOTU team indexed the Symphonic .dat file and converted it to a .ufs file so it would work in UVIWks. The could do the same with Ethno.
We were trained in my workplace to keep customers coming back especially if they have outlayed large sums of money. It makes good business sense.
Stick to writing what you know about.
I will not upgrade since I have no confidence that it will be supported in the next version of windows.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Everything is easy to the person not doing it.

Although no formal announcement was ever made, it is widely assumed that MOTU has no partnership agreement with UVI that allows future development. Current UVI libraries are no longer compatible with MachFive, for example. There are others.
Stick to writing what you know about.
Excellent advice. I suggest that you take it. Oh wait, was I supposed to be impressed when you unzipped and whipped out your resume? I'm quite comfortable with mine by comparison.

As for my advice, I think it's pretty spot on. Once again, you have three choices: Upgrade Ethno, downgrade Windows or lose the functionality.

If anyone has sympathy for your unwillingness to spend for the upgrade, they are free to chime in. As a user board not affiliated with MOTU, I feel pretty safe in saying that your decision not to spend the $200 does not affect anyone but you. We all have our reasons and you've made yours pretty clear — three times now.
Bansaw

Post by Bansaw »

Once again, you have three choices: Upgrade Ethno, downgrade Windows or lose the functionality.
This is the sum of your three lengthy posts.
Something I and everyone else already knew.
What a grand waste of time. :|
But actually, Ethno already works on Win10 64-bit. The Creators update messed with some runtime DLL libraries. I just reinstalled a few Visual C++ legacy libraries and got the standalone working. But the VST is still stubbornly refusing to.
I am wanting to engage with people on this forums who are familiar with Win10 OS & MOTU at a more intimate level.
If thats not you, then I wouldn't waste your time by commenting further.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Insults are not a good way to get people to help. BTW, I and others reply or not as we want to. You've already received the official response from MOTU and rejected it.

Whining that you want people to spend their time hacking Win 10 and an old version of Ethno for the sole purpose of saving you $200 has little chance of success, too.

You claim it's easy ... so do it yourself and post the results here. You're clearly a dillitante — nothing wrong with that — but many of us who are professionals to one degree or another. The question we always ask ourselves in these situations is "what is my time worth?". Not this, apparently.

You lucked out. I've been spending a lot of time on the road (a17 hour layover in London at the moment) and I'm bored. This thread and your ridiculous request amuses me.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Had you read the various threads in Ethno, you might have discovered that World Suite from UVI is the latest and greatest version.
viewtopic.php?t=62774

https://www.uvi.net/en/music-genres/world-suite.html

I have no idea if crossgrade pricing is available. Owning a number of UVI products, I get discount offers often.
Bansaw

Post by Bansaw »

Just in case anyone with the same issue stumbles across this thread, I managed to sort something out.
You can solve this by using a chainer or 32-bit host that itself acts as a VST in a 64-bit DAW.
VSTHost by Herman Sieb works with Ethno and Cantabile Lite 2.0/3.0 x86 also works with Ethno.
I finally settled on using R.eaper 32-bit installed as a Portable install. R.eaper can be wired into another DAW using ReWire.