Dealing with files that go corrupt

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Dealing with files that go corrupt

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

It doesn't happen to me often, and this is probably only the second time (on a second computer) in the 2 years I've been using DP. But I appear to have a Chunk in a project that suddenly decided to throw a tantrum with almost every move I make. i.e. I can no longer open Omnisphere without crashing, opening sidebars or sequence editor causes display glitching, processor dropouts spiking, etc. etc. etc. I'm pretty certain the Chunk became corrupted somehow.

I think this is bound to happen once in a while with software, but how do you protect yourselves against it? I run hourly project backups, so I could backtrack to hopefully pick up on the file before it corrupted.

Anything else you guys do?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dealing with files that go corrupt

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

One thing to try is start a new project and use the LOAD command to import data from the corrupted file. You might also try zipping and unzipping the file. If you can get a MIDI export and then reimport that to a new project, that might work. I haven't had to try it but an XML export/import to a new project is worth a try.

I've generally found that the culprits are either a plug in or a damaged audio file, but in the past 20 years I've only seen about 3 or 4 files become unsavable. Not too bad but 3 or 4 too many.

In the event of a completely destroyed file backups are your best and sometimes your only option. Be sure your drives are healthy with plenty of room (at least about 25% free when you start looking at replacements) and that your RAM is not going south.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
PoliticalBonobo

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One thing to try is start a new project and use the LOAD command to import data from the corrupted file.
I tried this, which lead me to believe the issue remains in the Chunk itself.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: In the event of a completely destroyed file backups are your best and sometimes your only option. Be sure your drives are healthy with plenty of room (at least about 25% free when you start looking at replacements) and that your RAM is not going south.
To do this, are you using "health checker" software or something?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

+1 on what MLC said.

Try opening the system Console, type MOTU or DP, and see if you can figure out what is causing your crashes. It should be right there.

When this happens to me, the culprit is ALWAYS some cuemixconsole driver from the Library folder it insists on opening.

The Load command is your first line of defence. If it didn't work, try opening the project in Safe Mode (no plugins), or try moving your audio and analysis file elsewhere and see if it opens like that.
Also, try your recent auto-saved versions.

If none of that works, try zip/unzip, like Mike said.

When the Load command doesn't work for me, which is rare, and the project won't open because of the crashes of the above mentioned driver, I still can rescue it by opening it in a different computer (you could also try all the trouble-shooting suggestions with this 2nd computer if it fails).
You can also try opening it with a different version of DP (older or newer).

If none of that works and you have no recent backup of the project... :(
It is a problem if you didn't realize your file got corrupted waaaaaay back and most backups are corrupted as well :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo

FMiguelez wrote:+1 on what MLC said.

If none of that works, try zip/unzip, like Mike said.
Interesting, didn't know that was a trick to use.

I've had this screwed up project issue once before about 2 years ago. I stripped EVERYTHING out of the project and was in safe mode, literally a completely blank project. I sent it to MOTU for them to test, and the project crashed, indicating a corrupted project.

In my current case, since loading the Chunk into another project didn't work, I tend to think something similar happened (corrupted audio file or project or something).

To avoid plugins being a potential cause, I'm thinking about routing all instrument plugins I use through Vienna Ensemble Pro, then I'll disable those plugins in DP. Not sure if anyone else works this way or not.