Ableton Push as a MIDI Controller with Performer?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
GhostOfAlgernon
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ableton Push as a MIDI Controller with Performer?

Post by GhostOfAlgernon »

Has anybody successfully set up Ableton Push to use as a MIDI controller with Performer?
Basically, Push pads as keys, knobs as assignable continuous controllers.
I don't care about the transport controls (though that would be nice).

I've been searching, but so far, haven't found anything.

If anybody knows of a tutorial/instructions/whatever, I'd really like to know about it.

Thanks,
Les
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Ableton Push as a MIDI Controller with Performer?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Both Push 1 and 2 have a "User" mode that sends MIDI out to any DAW.
If you haven't already downloaded it, the free MIDI Monitor App is a godsend, you can then see what notes are assigned where. Without even starting Live, you see that the pads send notes 36-99, pitch sends pitch, but the most of the knobs and buttons are momentary CC's, although I haven't looked at the Push manual in a while and it's possible you can make them incremental. You get no pretty lights in User mode BTW, they reserve that for Live.

If you have Push 1 instead of 2 the big advantage is PXT General, gives you total control over Push 1 and pretty lights! I have Push 2 now so my copy is useless. :(
http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-General.html

Beyond that RTFM. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.