Importing MIDI with tempo changes (rubato)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Importing MIDI with tempo changes (rubato)

Post by stubbsonic »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:
stubbsonic wrote: You could use an external sequencer for playback with the tempo-map, and record the MIDI output (in Multi-Record mode) into your DP project unsynced. If you put a "slate note" on beat one, you can slide it to align as needed. You can also scale time if there's any clock issues.
If I'm understanding correctly, do you essentially mean I could record to an audio track in DP with it set to record from another DAW/sequencer that's playing the MIDI file? I like this idea, but if I open a secondary DAW to run in ReWire mode, it'll match the DP project tempo. Or am I not following at all?
A LONG time ago, I remember taking a sequence that I needed to put into DP (from a keyboard workstation that could not export SMFs)-- and I enabled multi-record in DP and hit record. I did slave the external sequencer. However, if you were going to run it from an internal-but-separate sequencer, to solve your particular problem, you probably would want to sync them with smpte but not MIDI clocks. You'd also need patch the MIDI output of the one app into the MIDI ins of DP. Sounds like the other options people are suggesting would be easier.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com