DP 9 crashing every time during bounce

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
John Judd
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 9 crashing every time during bounce

Post by John Judd »

Hey Folks,

Just checking to see if anyone else has this issue in the latest version of DP9.

Windows 7 64bit
MOTU Audio Express

I have an existing MOTU tech link in play for this issue.

Set up a project with 0 plugins. Master Fader + 1 stereo audio track with some audio in it.

Select a portion of the track and try to bounce it. DP9 fails at the bounce and needs a force quit via the task manager. Every single time. Here's the catch: if I change the driver to the Windows Audio Instead of MOTU ASiO, it will bounce successfully.

Here's the other catch: DP8 on the same system bounces successfully every time. No issues.

Any advice would be helpful. I will report back here with any info I receive on the Tech link.

Thanks.

John

EDIT: please see below for an update to this thread.
Last edited by John Judd on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
terrybritton

Re: DP 9 crashing every time during bounce

Post by terrybritton »

This is a long-shot, but check your bundles.

I had Melodyne messing up my ability to add a stereo track. So, I am paranoid about bundles now!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Thanks for the bundles idea. I had checked this initially, and it isn't a part of the problem.
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also, try disabling VST plugins. PSP's VST plugins, specifically, will crash DP 9.1 every time. AUs are ok but you're on a PC so that isn't an option AFAIK. I'll put $$$ on the fact it's a VST plug in somewhere...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

How much $$$ were you discussing, anyway?

No plugins in the project, at all.

Disabled all plugins at the startup of DP9.

Still crashes.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No $$$. I'm not allowed to bet. 12 step program... LOL Sorry that didn't help. It was/is a reliable crash on my Mac every time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Thanks for the plugin suggestion. It was a good idea, although this case is different somehow.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

If you add a second empty track, does it crash a too?
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Yes, it pretty much crashes on bounce in any situation.

After some back and forth with the tech, it is looking like it might have something to do with any project created after the initial project I created in DP9 (which will actually bounce properly, strangely).

I am wondering if all of the project files somehow became corrupted from templates carried over from Dp 8.07.
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

For anyone that followed this post, I'm putting this thread to bed.

I thought I had figured out the problem, yet was mistaken.

MOTU tech really did try to help, but I am afraid it's beyond us to figure this out.

Couldn't get it to work on my W7 rig. When I build a new DAW for W10, I'm sure it will work just fine.

If the term 'Ghost In The Machine' every applied, it would be here.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Re. the ghost in the machine: I know this is Windows but...

On a Mac, Bounce to Disk crashing is a reliable symptom of a bad stick of RAM. If a certain plug is crashing BTD, eliminate it, of course, but if there's still a problem, RAM is where I look for—and find the culprit.

If you're building a new machine and the ghosts vanish...

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

RAM is of course, a good idea.

But: DP8 bounces like a champ. My other main DAW bounces like a champ.

I think there is something specific to my DP9 installation that has gone south and can't be fixed (or I am not willing to continue on this miserable journey to find out what the solution is when my other DAW is my main software and DP8 works well).

Funny that bouncing in DP9 is literally the only feature I didn't test before purchase.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Happy Non-Specific Holiday Celebration to all!
swander
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by swander »

Hi John:
I was having the same problem. DP 9.12 on a new Windows 10 machine. Simple bounce to video was crashing DP every time. MOTU tech support suggested installing DP 8 and trying it. That worked - my test file bounced just fine. (albeit very slowly). Then I went back to DP 9.12 and tried the test file again, and now DP 9 bounced without crashing. Weird. The only change on the machine was a Windows auto-update, and iTunes for Windows update and installing DP8. Somehow that combination made everything work.
About the slow bounce time: I set up a test file with two stereo audio tracks and a .mp4 video file. I bounced an 11-second section on my old mac 2008 running DP 8 and it bounced to a .mov file in 5 seconds. I did the exact same bounce on my Windows 10 machine and it bounced to a .mp4 file in 1 minute 20 seconds. I changed from the ASIO driver to the Windows driver and that lowered the bounce time to 1:04. Anyone know if this is just a Windows thing?
Also, there's no Quicktime Export Options dialog box after I OK the bounce dialog box. Is the inability to include film scoring events another Windows thing?
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Hi swander,

I'm not sure it's exactly the same event we are describing.

I wasn't dealing with video whatsoever in these projects.

And DP9 would render odd lengths of corrupted audio and then would hang.

On my generic Acer Windows 10 machine (not a music rig), I had an active demo of DP9 that worked flawlessly. (Although I did not test your video bouncing)

I use two DAWS, and DP compliments the other one nicely. Once I build a new W10 rig I'm confident that things will work just fine.
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Just an update for this thread: I built a new W10 rig and am using DP 9.5. I’ve battle tested DP for a few weeks and it has worked flawlessly so far.