Insanely slow bounce

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Insanely slow bounce

Post by Mathematics »

The system affected was fine before the latest update. After the update, bouncing takes an insanely long time. Even rendering silence takes an insane amount of time. Actually writing to disk in real time is faster, which I don't mind doing but I do need that system to do a quick bounce every once and a while.

Re-installing has no effect. Is there a setting that defaulted state after the lastest update that anyone is aware of?
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Insanely slow bounce

Post by mikehalloran »

Are you running 32bit or 64bit?

Have you installed any new plugins? Have you added any that you've not used before?

Bounce to Disk uses RAM and your drive. If you are on a mechanical drive, switching to an SSD will increase the speed (I couldn't believe the difference when I did it). Check your RAM—if you can increase the amount, this is one area where you will see an improvement.

My experience has shown that BTD performance is often an indicator that a stick of RAM has gone bad. Usually, the resulting file is corrupt or BTD crashes. I've never seen the process just slow way down because of it but there's a possibility.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Insanely slow bounce

Post by Mathematics »

Hey Mike!

It's Win7-64bit. I have twin SSDs running on this system and 16GB of ram. ProTools and Live have no problems when I BTD. I ran RAM diagonostics and there were no errors. Although BTD is insanely slow, the files do render nicely and are not corrupted.

Now as far as newly installed plugins, there is a list and actually, it's not just the installation of new plugins but the installation of ProTools on that computer as well. The latest plugins I installed on that system are too many to list...I was listing them but it would just look like I suffer from G.A.S, so I'm just going to say that it's over 10 new plugins and instruments. For the record, PT and Live both BTD just fine...even with significantly larger projects.

I don't know...this is not a critical issue as I have other systems I can bounce from but I would like to have the option to BTD on all my systems. I am starting to think that PT and DP affect each other because I noticed that PT suddenly had an issue with the hardware when I tried opening a project I had finished earlier in the day after reinstalling DP. So, I just restored the system back to its original state before the uninstall and reinstall of DP and PT was fine again.

I guess talking out loud about this is making me zero-in on PT being the culprit for this problem. So far, everything is super stable...in fact, it's the most stable it has been within the last year. Until there is something seriously wrong, I'll just keep writing to disk in real time before I start formatting drives.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai