Win10 & DP9 - Two serious issues.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mopho007
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Win10 & DP9 - Two serious issues.

Post by mopho007 »

Recently switch over from Mac with DP 7.2 to Win10 running DP9.

Having several issues I can't seem to resolve.

1) I have a JD-XA hooked up via USB - DP sees it but no matter what I do it records double notes and then I have to apply the 'remove double notes' after recording a take. Seems this might be MIDI loop happening? But the JD-XA USB is not set to echo or thru MIDI. Does the same thing with the System-1. And DP is set to NOT auto-thru MIDI playback or auto channelize.

2) When I first start a sequence DP sends this weird massive glob of random notes to everything, and even more annoying it sends a max volume change to all my synths. So if I have the Prophet-08 for example set to 50% volume DP changes it to 100%. Does the same thing to the JD-XA. So are the Mixer fader levels the issue? Are they controlling volume over MIDI or Velocity amount?

Never had these issues every before with DP in the last 20 years on the Mac. Is this a Windows thing?

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Jamie
terrybritton

Re: Win10 & DP9 - Two serious issues.

Post by terrybritton »

I am running DP 9 on Windows 10 also, and am not experiencing any of these things.

Could there be some settings that seemed logical in the Mac version that you carried over into your setup here?

Are your bundles sending outs to ins anywhere?

Do you have Melodyne? (If so, go into Bundles/Instruments and hit the "Delete Unused" button for every project.)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mopho007

Post by mopho007 »

terrybritton wrote:I am running DP 9 on Windows 10 also, and am not experiencing any of these things.

Could there be some settings that seemed logical in the Mac version that you carried over into your setup here?

Are your bundles sending outs to ins anywhere?

Do you have Melodyne? (If so, go into Bundles/Instruments and hit the "Delete Unused" button for every project.)

Terry
This is happening with tunes created entirely on Win 10, so it's not something residual from the Mac. No bundles. I'm talking really simple compositions, like 5-6 MIDI tracks.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

No bundles? How do you input/output any audio or MIDI?

Shift-U to enter the Bundles dialog. Check each tab, modify as needed. Click the "Delete Unused" button and see if anything gets fixed.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mopho007

Post by mopho007 »

terrybritton wrote:No bundles? How do you input/output any audio or MIDI?

Shift-U to enter the Bundles dialog. Check each tab, modify as needed. Click the "Delete Unused" button and see if anything gets fixed.

Terry
:sorry: Sorry, I meant I don't have any extra bundles created for MIDI. I use a USB MTP AV and 828Mk3.

I did solve the double note issue with the Roland JD-XA, was a Roland thing. Seems if the JD-XA has a layered patch and one sound is on MIDI channel #1 and the second on #2 even though you tell MOTU to record on ONLY #1 it still records both and then they appear as double notes and plays them both back on #1. Kinda annoying but I have a workaround.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

mopho007 wrote:
terrybritton wrote:No bundles? How do you input/output any audio or MIDI?

Terry
:sorry: Sorry, I meant I don't have any extra bundles created for MIDI. I use a USB MTP AV and 828Mk3.

I did solve the double note issue with the Roland JD-XA, was a Roland thing. Seems if the JD-XA has a layered patch and one sound is on MIDI channel #1 and the second on #2 even though you tell MOTU to record on ONLY #1 it still records both and then they appear as double notes and plays them both back on #1. Kinda annoying but I have a workaround.
Ahh, yes - I have heard of that happening before with the Roland - it did not surface for me in time to save you some detective work. It is not only the JD-XA that does that, if I recall. Might have been an FP80 I heard about as well.

Very glad you got to the bottom of it! :D

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

mopho007 wrote: 2) When I first start a sequence DP sends this weird massive glob of random notes to everything, and even more annoying it sends a max volume change to all my synths. So if I have the Prophet-08 for example set to 50% volume DP changes it to 100%. Does the same thing to the JD-XA. So are the Mixer fader levels the issue? Are they controlling volume over MIDI or Velocity amount?
Jamie
You might want to turn off automation playback (or write the correct volume/pan values in automation). It may also be event following in prefs (try turning that off). I have similar issues with virtual instruments from time to time. On play from start, the faders seem to reset and set MIDI volume (cc7) to 100%...

Hope that helps!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.