Problems regarding bank select for my external synth

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PigSpeakers
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Problems regarding bank select for my external synth

Post by PigSpeakers »

I've got a Casio XW-P1 connected to my computer via USB and I can't for the life of me get access to all of the patches that are available on the keyboard. There's no midnam file for the synth, so all of my patches appear as "Patch 1, Patch 2,..." All of these patches are the default general MIDI sounds. Granted, they're all coming from the synth, but there's so much more to the keyboard than general MIDI.

I've tried changing the bank by inserting a patch change via event information/event list. Every time I place a different number in the bank select 0 or bank select 32 window, it does nothing. And if I pick a different patch from the drop down menu, they either default back to 0 in the event information screen, or "-" in the Event List screen. If I try and do anything in Event List it often leads to a freeze and I have to hard-exit DP.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I need to change on the synth side or is it on the software side? I created a bundle for the XW-P1 with channel one set to transmit and then channels 1-16 set on receive as well as program change and bank msb. Nothing else is checked. The I/O is set to CASIO-USB.
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Problems regarding bank select for my external synth

Post by reedster »

MIDI implementation in the manual does not indicate CC32 support - I would focus on CC0.

You might try changing patches while recording - if the message records you will have the format.

I don't know Windows... if there is a way to assign the output to a similar synth you can observe the behavior and determine a method to get the results you want.

sounds like you already have USB On

There's full details in the MIDI implementation guide XWP1_MIDI_EN.pdf available from world.casio.com

One thing the guide indicates after the Bank Select, a Patch Change must be received for the sound to change.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
PigSpeakers
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Problems regarding bank select for my external synth

Post by PigSpeakers »

Thank you! I figured it out, but it had more to do with the synth being weird in how it sends. I had to go to the mixer mode on the synth and then it let me pick a different sound for each of the sixteen channels. Hopefully the next synth I buy is a little more straightforward.