First Time User, How To Fix Static?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TheNashNetwork
Primary DAW OS: Windows

First Time User, How To Fix Static?

Post by TheNashNetwork »

Hey everyone, I just got DP9 as my first computer based music making software after having been on iPad for over three years. I have a GTrack USB mic from Samson which I've plugged into the computer, and while it is recording into the program, the volume is super low and the laptop speakers are spewing static. I've also set the tracks on DP9 to output to the headphones from the mic but that isn't working as it's all still playing from the laptop speakers. Any ideas?
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: First Time User, How To Fix Static?

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm sorry that I can't be of help right this minute but you're definitely in the right forum.

I'm pretty sure someone will be along to try and help soon.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are some windows folks here. This could get moved to the Troubleshooting section.

I'll just give you a few things to look at. Make sure you've got drivers installed for your USB device. Also, makes sure that DP's hardware driver settings match the specs of the device. For example, you want to make sure DP is configured for your device (Setup Menu/Configure Audio System/Configure Hardware Driver. There are some settings in there that can cause some problems. You can set the buffer size to 256 which should be pretty safe for a not-too-big track count.

Good luck. Sorry I can't be of more help. (Mac guy.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Your USB mic should be the clock source... check that out in DP.

If your DAW is synced to a different clock, for example, "built-in audio", digital input from another device is going to be messed up (unless that device is slaved to the same clock as your DAW, which is probably impossible wth your mic). I'm a Mac guy, too, but clock issues are platform-agnostic. Good luck, and have fun with DP!
TheNashNetwork
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by TheNashNetwork »

Any tips of vocal equalization? Trying to get everything the same volume. :P
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If by "Equalization" you refer not to tonal quality but to level, try compression and limiting, as well as selective editing of phrase levels.

PS: Was it the clock?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote:There are some windows folks here. This could get moved to the Troubleshooting section.
Yep. Moving to Troubleshooting.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

TheNashNetwork wrote:Any tips of vocal equalization? Trying to get everything the same volume. :P
Let's troubleshoot and solve your issues in this thread (now moved).

And you can start a new thread about some mixing tips. However, I think if you do a search of "audio mixing tips" or "equalizing vocals" you'll find plenty of info. I've even seen folks post links to mixes for feedback and advice.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com