Audio Playback

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mr175
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Audio Playback

Post by mr175 »

Hi, total noob here.
My system: New DP9. New MOTU AudioExpress, w/CueMix FX. Dell Laptop i7,8GB RAM, 1TB HD, running Windows 8. Submixer with 8 inputs, two main outputs to Audio Express. One extra guitar input straight into AudioExpress Mic/Inst 1.
My problem: Record audio into DP9. That process works fine. I see the meters move, I see waveforms in the track line, I hear the audio thru my monitors. When I hit "play" of what I just recorded, nothing comes out of the speakers. The blue speaker icon is lit, the "O" listing is the analog 1-2 outs (the only option, other than none). The Audio Express made by MOTU shows those outputs as Main 1-2. No choice of those in the output section of my tracks. In CueMixFX, I see choices of Main 1-2,
and Analog 1-2, but there are only two plugs on the back - MainOut 1-2. Still no DP9 playback.
Separate question: My DP9 help section shows all Mac views, not Windows, so what to do with help/manuals?
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Playback

Post by stubbsonic »

I can help with the first issue. When the Blue Speaker icon is lit, that means you are listening to the INPUT (not the track), so when you hit play, you could play along with the track and hear your instrument, mic, etc. Turn the Blue Speaker (input monitor) off, and you'll hear your track when you are in playback.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I just tried hitting the blue button with the track playing and it still plays. I think that is so one can play along with the track and hear both the input and the track.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In the Studio Menu, near the bottom is the Audio Patch Thru submenu, which offers Auto, Blend, Input Only, and Off. I think those options are largely self-explanatory-- except what rules Auto operates under. I'll bet the manual would explain that in a satisfying way.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On the second question: When I tried out DP with Windows 7, it seemed to me that other than the obvious differences things specific to the OS, the two versions were the same. If I didn't look at the thick blue bar at the top of the window, or the buttons on the opposite side of the window, it wasn't apparent that I was using a Windows version. Are they different now?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mr175

Post by mr175 »

Thanks for the replies. No change, however. Turned the blue speaker icon off - no difference. AudioPatch thru there are 4 choices - none solved the problem.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I guess the next thing to do would be to open configure hardware driver and make sure you have an active output device-- so it is available as an assignable option. Then open the bundles window to see if you can confirm the outputs are routable.

mr175

Post by mr175 »

Good idea to try the configure hardware menu. My choices are ASIO or Windows ASIO. Then, ASIO driver - MOTU Audio ASIO; then to configure audio driver, and the only menu choice is "phones assignment". There are 4 choices of where to send that: Phones 1-2; Main 1-2; Analog 1-2 (Which do not exist?); and S/PDIF 1-2. Tried all 4 - no go. As a LAST CHANCE, I switched the output plugs on the AE from Main 1-2, to Line Out 3-4, as indicated on the back of the unit. These outs are not indicated anywhere in the CueMix or the choice of output in the track/sequence menu. Maybe they're Analog 1-2, but if it's the same manufacturer, why doesn't the terminology line up? But, it works!?!? So now I can hear what's been recorded, and listen if I'm not recording. Makes little sense to me, but there it is . . . . Thx.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

After selecting the MOTU interface, then go to the Bundles inputs and outputs window and add the connections you'll need.
(Shift-U gets you there.) Once that is done, you should see all the output options you desire in the mixer and elsewhere.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpDFSEfjWw

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elctJjd1O6g

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
mr175

Post by mr175 »

Thanks for the videos . . . I'll go looking for more!