Soundbites longer than intended

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Soundbites longer than intended

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

So I felt like a dingbat for sending audio files off to someone for mixing. The mixing guy would mix and send them back, and I'd see that he had more lead-in or preroll than what I sent, causing track lengths to be different. He said he added no extra time to the files.

When I click on a bounced track soundbite, I discovered I can extend the soundbite longer than what I had set to record bounds to. I'm assuming this is some preroll/postroll feature in DP so it doesn't cut off attacks or decays. However, I always have pre/postroll and memory selection off when recording.

What's frustrating is that when I drag-and-drop my own bounced tracks back into DP, the pre/postroll doesn't show: the soundbite is the same length I was seeing when recording. But when mix guy loaded the files in ProTools, it was showing him the entire file.

I live-bounced ~25 cues that no aren't the SMPTE start times that I thought. :banghead:
Am I supposed to "Compact" every recorded soundbite or something?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Soundbites longer than intended

Post by reedster »

Preferences / Play and Record / Audio Options / Punch Guard
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Soundbites longer than intended

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

reedster wrote:Preferences / Play and Record / Audio Options / Punch Guard
AHH! I swear I stared at the preferences looking for that :shock: Thank you!
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6