how to synchronise realtime recorded MIDI tracks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
inkywriter
Primary DAW OS: Windows

how to synchronise realtime recorded MIDI tracks

Post by inkywriter »

I'm a pianist and like to record instrument tracks through MIDI. I'm finding that despite playing in time with the previously recorded track, they don't synch. Also, if I am writing a 'cello line that has repeated notes in the melody, there is an unnatural gap between each of the notes. I would really appreciate help. Thanks
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: how to synchronise realtime recorded MIDI tracks

Post by FMiguelez »

As for the Cello notes, you can try extending the release on the patch you are using, so the realtime performance sounds more connected. Or you can edit the notes manually after you record them, or play them with less gaps.

For your sync issues, you can a) ignore all tempo and just follow yourself b) play to the metronome c) ignore the tempo and follow yourself, and THEN have the metronome follow your performance Record/Adjust Beats.

It sounds to me you're using a) above, but it's not clear to me why things won't sync. They should sync. Can you give us more details on how you're recording your tracks?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

inkywriter wrote:I'm a pianist and like to record instrument tracks through MIDI. I'm finding that despite playing in time with the previously recorded track, they don't synch.
PREFERENCES: Check your "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" setting.

If using a large audio buffer, your performance will be recorded late if Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru is enabled. This feature is useful when performing with VIs in that it places MIDI events at the time the VI actually sounded when the performance was being recorded. Performers naturally anticipate attacks to compensate when an instrument's sound is delayed. Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru allows us to record more natural sounding tracks when small buffers are used with VIs. Doesn't work so well with large buffers!

Two approaches to remedy:

1. Small buffer (64, 128, maybe 256) and Enable Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru when seeking natural performance while recording with VIs

2. Disable Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru when using external MIDI modules.
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Thank you FMiguelez for ideas: I will try altering the repeated notes manually and hold notes longer - this is less effective using the keyboard as bowing in reality on a cello means the move from one note to another can be more seamless, (I am also a cellist and spent hours practicing the technique!) but it's worth a go! And perhaps keep the metronome on whilst recording more tracks.

Thank you HC Markus for ideas - I have disabled the Synch Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru and now will try changing the buffer size. Thanks!
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

I changed the buffer size - 64 got rid of the latency but created clicking sounds; the DP manual suggested increasing buffer size, which I did, to 128; the clicking disappeared, the latency creeps in a bit, but seems better, so perhaps I stick with this. Thanks again.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Glad it helped Inky!