CPU spikes with video

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: CPU spikes with video

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

HCMarkus wrote:Just wondering if one could run DP, video only, on a second machine and slave to the master Audio Computer. VideoSlave on the cheap...
There is a Windows program called MTC VideoSlave that is not too expensive. I haven't tested out the demo yet, but it sounds promising....
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
PoliticalBonobo

I tested the MTC VideoSlave demo, and it seems to work well. Running it with DP uses essentially no CPU. My only issue is that the MTCVS FPS won't match DP. I emailed tech support. Hopefully I get it resolved as this would be ~$70 solution to my problem.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

excellent… please advise as you progress.
PoliticalBonobo

Well, I have yet to get a response from MTC VideoSlave. I've ordered my gtx 960 to try out instead.

If you can, I'd suggest trying the MTC VS demo. You might not have the same issue I did. It was very easy to set up. You don't even need to slave off another computer for this issue; running MTC VS off my same comp that DP is on fixed the CPU issue.

I used loopMIDI for the virtual MIDI routing. It was super easy.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

But I'm a Mac Guy!

I still like the idea of offloading video to another machine. I'm doing all audio work at the moment, but will probably try a remote video machine next synch project. Thinking I may be able to simply run DP on a separate machine... we'll see!

Curious as to how the 960 works for you. Team Green vs Team Red in the GPU battle. Thanks for the updates!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
PoliticalBonobo

Well, I'm sorry to say the GTX 960 didn't solve the issue. :( . It reduced the CPU load a little bit (maybe 5-10%) but not enough. I returned the card.

I've since attempted to slave DP from another PC but cannot seem to get it working. I set up RTPMidi (similar to Mac's MIDI Setup), and the computers connect to each other fine. In each open DP, I set MTC Transmit and Receive to the RTPMidi session. But I can't get either DP transport to control the other.
PoliticalBonobo

Update on this:

I successfully got DP video slaved to my DP master. You know that giant "Slave to External Sync" button? Yeah, that's what I was missing. Works well.
My only gripe about this setup: there's no easy way to nudge frame by frame from the consolidated window (remember that the video window is now running on the slave machine). I'll have to inconveniently type in each frame number when I want to hit a specific frame.

So I'd say 90% success for me.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:Update on this:

I successfully got DP video slaved to my DP master. You know that giant "Slave to External Sync" button? Yeah, that's what I was missing. Works well.
My only gripe about this setup: there's no easy way to nudge frame by frame from the consolidated window (remember that the video window is now running on the slave machine). I'll have to inconveniently type in each frame number when I want to hit a specific frame.

So I'd say 90% success for me.
Thanks for the report. I missed it initially, but much appreciated.