D9 - EW Spaces - delay compensation not recalled

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

D9 - EW Spaces - delay compensation not recalled

Post by kdm »

I have several instances of EW Spaces in my current project - all set to realtime.

After closing the project and reopening, there is a noticeable delay before Spaces' reverb kicks in - as if it isn't compensating for plugin delay. Reloading each program fixes it, but that's a rather significant hassle to have to do it every single time I load a project.

Anyone using Spaces seeing this, or have a solution?
Mathematics

Re: D9 - EW Spaces - delay compensation not recalled

Post by Mathematics »

The only thing I would suggest to improve performance is to load spaces into VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) and port the audio to it from within DP. Essentially you'll have a plugin rack that runs outside DP so even if you switch projects or even DAWs, you never have to reload Spaces or anything else running in that instance. VEP also automatically compensates for instance latency and all you need to worry about is assigning how many buffers you want. I would use use 1 buffer if it's a local VEP instance.

Try the free demo of VEP from the Vienna website. I actually run a 32bit instance of VEP server for my 32bit plugins. That's another added feature with VEP.

I'm assuming you probably know all this already but in case you don't or if anyone else finds this discussion, maybe my response will serve as an idea for them to further investigate.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
kdm

Post by kdm »

I do have VEPro - I might have to test delay compensation recall with it (though VEPro handles delay comp in that case), and with Spaces in a VRack, just for comparison. But in order to have the flexibility to create different mixes, I need to run reverbs locally. Performance is fine - cpu load is low with Spaces - DP just isn't seeing Spaces' delay compensation reporting when reloaded, making it a pain to keep recreating my presets for 4-5 instances on every project reload.
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

Got it...workflow is affected with running it outside DP. I think a better chance for a solution would be by contacting MOTU directly first. If they don't have an immediate answer, go to GearSlutz and look the EW Lurker...he's very much "on it" when people have questions about EW products. Posting there might get you an answer as well.

Another great place with knowledgeable professionals that frequent the site is Vi-Control. Someone there may have an answer considering Spaces has been out long enough and because I've seen people talk about it and recommend it there.

If I come across anything that can help, I'll post it. Good luck.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
kdm

Post by kdm »

Thanks - I posted a TechLink for MOTU a few days ago. It's taking a bit over a week for them to read tech links.

There are a few DP users on VI-Control, but no DP/Win users I know of, but I might run it by Jay (EW Lurker). It's definitely a delay compensation reporting/reading problem - not sure whether it's DP or Spaces that is at fault. I might try the DP Facebook group, or just go through tech support at EW and MOTU and let them hammer it out.