DP9 - when a large project of chunks won't open

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9 - when a large project of chunks won't open

Post by kdm »

I'm posting this both as an FYI, and as a query to see if anyone else has run into this scenario:

1 - I have a large scoring project with several chunks.
2 - I've been saving off copies as each cue is completed as backup.

The problem:
After working on a longer cue, late in this reel, and went to close, DP wouldn't shut down. Had to kill it in task manager.

After reopening DP, none of my projects would open - not even older backups. It would open the project, but all audio files would still be offline - video loaded - but it wouldn't progress from there. Thinking it was a bad file link, I renamed all of the audio respective audio folders, but still no luck. DP actually assumed some were linked, even though the folders were renamed. Nothing worked. I tried uninstalling DP to go back to 9.0, but that wouldn't work.

I next simply did a repair instead of full uninstall, and DP was now able to open projects.

This is Windows, so this situation might be completely different from how problems with large chunks-based projects can go sour, but in this case at least, DP seems to have simply corrupted part of it's install instead of the project itself. I have to wonder what could corrupt. When I tried an uninstall, DP would hang trying to uninstall various plugins (usually a different one each time I cancelled and tried again).

Anyone see this with DP on either Win or OSX?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 - when a large project of chunks won't open

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm on a Mac, so I don't know about Windows, but next time you run into something like this (hopefully never again), try loading your chunks from a fresh newly-created project.

You can pick which chunks you want to load, and you get to chose if you want to also import any soundbites, bundles, etc.

This usually solves most kinds of project-corruption issues, and it lets you keep working in a few seconds.

As for the project corruption thing, I haven´t seen that for a loooooong time here (on a Mac).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: DP9 - when a large project of chunks won't open

Post by kdm »

Importing a chunk or chunks into a new project is an excellent suggestion, and I actually didn't even know that option was there! Just tried it and it worked perfectly.

The problem I ran into this time though was DP's .exe itself - no project would open - even a new blank project to try loading chunks from others. At least there are solutions to both scenarios - DP issues, and chunks problems. While ProTools' import session data is great for audio work, clippings and chunks imports are becoming far more valuable for my work.