9.01 - Proverb IR import problems

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

9.01 - Proverb IR import problems

Post by kdm »

I have a Techlink reported with this, but want to ask if anyone else has tested this (OSX or Win):

IR import into ProVerb is supposed to be fixed on Win in 9.01, but isn't. Some IRs can be imported, but others can not (with no differentiation that I can find). And when they are, they simply import and disappear - no access to the "User" section of the IR list. Only factor IRs are available.

Some attempts to drag/drop an IR into Proverb result in DP locking up/crashing. I haven't found a pattern to any specific file type. It does not accept quad or 5.1 files that I've tested so far, though I get the impression it is supposed to. But, surround aside, with no access to the User IR folder (Shared and Project are inaccessible as well), even stereo imports are useless, when they work.

Anyone having success importing and recalling user IRs?

All of my imports are going into user/AppData/Roaming/MOTU/Plug-ins/ProVerb/User, but Proverb isn't reading that folder. I've tried setting my own folder in the ProgramData/MOTU/Plugins/ProVerb/ProVerb Data.bundle/Factor v05 folder, but it doesn't recognize that either.

So I opened up the Node.xml file and sure enough, all folders are listed there, and apparently not auto-updated. An interesting comment from a dev there as well on the branch ids, and given how they are listed, I'm a bit concerned this may never work. I copied my user presets folder into the Factor folder and added an entry into the Node.xml, but DP still doesn't recognize it.
Last edited by kdm on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 9.01 - Proverb IR import problems

Post by FMiguelez »

The other day I was reading a thread here in MOTUNation that talked about this.

They discovered that a lot of people's problems came from trying to load stereo files to mono instantiations, and viceversa.
Are you sure you're dragging the correct format to the correct Proverb kind?

What audio format are your IRs? Sit? WAV?

I got a few IRs the other day, and I'm planning on trying them with Proverb tonight. I'll report if I find any problems like yours.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ha! Sorry. I just saw you're on Windows...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
kdm

Post by kdm »

I did test with both stereo and 5.1 instances, and some stereo files do show up in the stereo instance. They will import in a 5.1 instance, but not show up, which makes sense technically of course, but doesn't make sense as Proverb is listed as supporting stereo to surround (I typically don't use stereo-surround, but I can't get it to recognize 5.1 IRs for now...).

All of the Samplicity IRs are dual stereo or quad format, and ProVerb doesn't support split files. And I can't figure out what format it does support to combine IRs into a single stereo, or single 5.1 file.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've had these problems (on a Mac). In the end, I concluded that Proverb/DP is happy with some IR files and not others, and there is no obvious difference between the two. I usually load a lot of them at once, figure out which file causes the problem (using binary selection), omit those, and everything is fine.

Another thing I found helps is to keep all the IR files in a folder that is not connected with DP. When you want to add a new IR file, add it to this folder, rather than loading it into Proverb. Now delete the library of IRs that DP accesses entirely, and then reload the entire expanded set into Proverb. This forces a reindexing, and seems to avoid problems with some IR files. Another advantage of this method is that it is a lot easier to manage the folder structure of the IR files in the OS file manager than in DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is there a requirement for ProVerb to have confirmed output assignments that match the IR's channel format?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kdm

Post by kdm »

I believe it does. I did find that user imported stereo IRs only appear in stereo instances of Proverb. This isn't inconsistent with DP's general approach to only enabling plugins when there is a valid audio path all the way through. A bit confusing when coming from another DAW, but not a big deal.

The main issue now seems to be figuring how what file formats it supports (beyond channel width). I have a couple that will lockup DP when dragging them into ProVerb - hence, they have been removed. So far I can't find any 5.1 IRs that work and ProVerb doesn't seem to support quad.

Even so, I do have a stereo instance up and running in my template, with Valhalla VRoom for ER - works great.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I experienced some lockup problems also while trying to import some IR's. Did you ever get to the bottom of what specifically about certain IR's will cause that to happen?

I also want to point out for anyone listening, I was able to drag the Apple folder full of IR's for Logic Pro's Space Designer, and Proverb imported them all, including the *.SDIR files which comprise many of them. So anyone with Logic or MainStage can add those IR's to DP too this way it would seem.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

FMiguelez wrote: They discovered that a lot of people's problems came from trying to load stereo files to mono instantiations, and viceversa.
Are you sure you're dragging the correct format to the correct Proverb kind?
This makes a lot of sense and I will have to test that theory later tonight. From what I can see, when Proverb imports a wav file, it is stored under the Proverb directory as separate wav files for L and R. So its definitely possible that the import routine is not smart enough to deal with importing mono IR's when you're doing it into a stereo instance of Proverb..and I guess the same true the other way around, but I will have to try to see if I can isolate this.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Another thing to experiment with - I found that I had some stability and other problems with proverb if I was using an ASIO buffer size that was not an even multiple of 8 (256 samples, etc).

Doesn't seem like that would be related to the problem you're having, but might be worth trying nonetheless.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

This is an old thread but it has provided me with solutions to a current situation.

I can confirm that mono IR (acoustic guitars or amp cabinets) do not appear in a stereo instance of Proverb or in a mono-to-stereo version.

Earlier today, I was organizing and loading IR but they were not available in the interface popup but were in the Proverb>User folder.

A quick test setup consisting of mono and stereo tracks with mono and stereo instances of Proverb revealed that all is well.

Use of a single folder of IR outside of DP works well to keep the IR sets organized vs. in the order in which single sets are loaded into DP.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.