DP9.01 for PC with Waves 9 Plugins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9.01 for PC with Waves 9 Plugins

Post by Mathematics »

How's your experience running Waves 9 plugins in DP9 for PC?

Waves only confirms compatibility/support for the Mac version of DP8 and 9; however, I ran them on the PC version and they seems to run fine with only two issues thus far.

The first major issue I came across is the limitation to having only 33 instances of Waves plugins in the mixer, at any given time...but there is an easy fix for it.

The second issue, which is a little disheartening, is that I can't successfully run StudioRack Native. I don't need it but it does offer some workflow advantages.

That's my experience. What's yours?
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
xmission

Re: DP9.01 for PC with Waves 9 Plugins

Post by xmission »

I haven't delved deep enough to know for sure, but I suspect that we're still on vst2, which doesn't allow side chains. I'd really like to try vocalrider at its full potential.

What's you fix for more than 33 instances (not that I've ever run out yet.
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

xmission wrote:What's your fix for more than 33 instances?
On the PC, there are two potential solutions. The first is to create an empty text file and name it "no_context_sharing", such that the file appears like this:
no_context_sharing.txt

Next, place it in the following directory:
C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio

An alternative solution is to lower the bit depth of the video card from 32bit to 16bit.

While these solutions appear to resolve the issue, the actual cause of the problem seems to be motherboards with Intel chipsets for the video adapter. I could be wrong about this as this is just an assumption based off the frequency of Intel chipsets being mentioned on people's systems that have experienced this 31-33 limit. For some, the limit is 31 loaded instances where the 32nd either crashes the DAW or the plugin GUI is invisible. For others, 32 is the limit with the 33rd causing the problem. In my situation, 33 was the limit while the 34th caused the plugin GUI to appear blank. For the record, I run my DAW system and all my networked VEP computers with performance as the priority and turn off Windows GUI effects.

Although the text file solution worked for me, I'm probably going to order a VisionTek dual display video card. VisionTek offers a lifetime replacement warranty on their video cards. They will actually replace the card; they did for me a while back on a Dell PC. Anyway...
Last edited by Mathematics on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
xmission

Post by xmission »

Thanks for the info.
PoliticalBonobo

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Mathematics wrote:
xmission wrote:What's your fix for more than 33 instances?
On the PC, there are two potential solutions. The first is to create an empty text file and name it "no_context_sharing", such that the file appears like this:
no_context_sharing.txt

Next, place it in the following directory:
C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio

An alternative solution is to lower the bit depth of the video card from 32bit to 16bit.

While these solutions appear to resolve the issue, the actual cause of the problem seems to be motherboards with Intel chipsets for the video adapter. I could be wrong about this as this is just an assumption based off the frequency of Intel chipsets being mentioned on people's systems that have experienced this 31-33 limit. For some, the limit is 31 loaded instances where the 32nd either crashes the DAW or the plugin GUI is invisible. For others, 32 is the limit with the 33rd causing the problem. In my situation, 33 was the limit while the 34th caused the the plugin GUI to appear blank. For the record, I run my DAW system all my networked VEP computers with performance as they priority and turn off Windows GUI effects.

Although the text file solution worked for me, I'm probably going to order a VisionTek dual display video card. VisionTek offers a lifetime replacement warranty on their video cards. They will actually replace the card; they did for me a while back on a Dell PC. Anyway...
Lots of great info here; I'm bookmarking. Thanks.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6