DP8 - can't hear incoming audio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 - can't hear incoming audio

Post by HARDDRlVER »

I'm using dp8 and it seems I have everything right,but I can't hear any audio coming into any channels. Just as an example,I have a mic,coming into an audio channel - I can't hear it. No meter value,nothing. However, if I hit record it shows that it's printing to the track AND I can hear it on playback. I'm sure this is an easy fix but...well...not for this old goat.
Any help guys?
Thank you in advance
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 - can't hear incoming audio

Post by bayswater »

Try clicking on the blue button on the track header in the Sequence Editor, or click on the icon in the "MON" column in the Tracks Overview. If you can record on the track, clicking this should let you hear it.

Have a look at Audio Input Monitoring in the manual for details. It describes monitoring through DP or via a hardware interface, and some monitoring modes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

I appreciate all your help. Unfortunately that hasn't worked, and according to your suggestions, I don't see why it won't. Shoot.
I'm on a laptop, I clicked on the little blue icon enabling it...that icon appears to look like a tiny speaker facing to the right, correct? Ok, it's blue...
In the tracks window, the same icon, lit blue...still nothing.
To follow your suggestion; Audio Input Monitoring...not quite sure I'm in the right place. There's a section Audio Monitor, but I can't seem to find an Audio 'Input' Monitoring...if they're one in the same...still I'm not finding any answers there.
Why should something so dead awful simple be so crazy complicated.
Before my decision to go digital with the Roland VS-880 apx 20 years ago, which led to owning 3 VS-1880's, and now have added to that a VS-2480DVD, I was heavy into reel-to-reel multitracking. I often regret not continuing with that medium. I loved it. I still own a Teac 3440 w/dbx, but if I had invested further into r-r, by now I'd probably have one heck of a setup. At least would've gone with a Tascam ms-16, possibly 2 connected. I love the tape machines.
But ah well...just passed the 63 year mark yesterday, and am now on disability for life, so it is what it is.
I just wish I could get over these ridiculously simple humps so I can get on with it.
At 63, I don't know...I've been feeling for several years now that...how much quality time left is there, really...I have to race my voice to the finish. I'll lose my vocals before anything I'm sure.
See what this simple nonsense is doing to me? AHH! :banghead:
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

The answer was on page 217 of the user manual; Input monitoring mode.
Still, thanks for your help, because it led me to a starting point, which in turn led me to the answer.
Thanks, really.
Deadrock
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Deadrock »

If none of those things worked for you out there,and all your settings are correct but still no audio being monitored here is the easy fix.
1. Have a track open in dp and your Motu interface on.
2. Trun off your Motu interface
3. You get a notification saying no audio device do you want to use just MIDI or continue,(don’t choose anything yet.)
4. Turn on your interface and wait till you see it reconnect and take over control of your audio, now hit continue.
5. After you hit continue, the Motu audio driver has been reset and your audio should be back to being monitored. This problem occurred because the system at one point lost a connection to the interface and then you closed dp before restoring all of its function, to fix it you have to make the interface lose connection while dp is on then regain connection while dp is on, that means turning it off and on.