DP8 - VST plugins - no GUI

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 - VST plugins - no GUI

Post by kdm »

None of my VST plugins will open with their GUI - I just get the DP plugin top bar section. DP/MAS plugins are fine - GUI appears right below the top bar as expected.

VIs are fine - tried Kontakt and VEPro - both work.

This is on Windows 8.1. It worked, if I recall correctly, on Windows 7.
Is this a Win8/DP compatibility problem? Does it work in DP9 on Win8/10?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 - VST plugins - how to access GUI?

Post by mikehalloran »

Your description is not detailed enough to determine what the problem is. Can you see your VSTs in the plugins menu?

There are a number of threads on this in the Mac boards but these often has to do with 32 vs 64bit, Carbon vs Cocoa graphics and other issues, many of which do not apply to PCs.

So, with Windows, 32bit vs 64bit might apply. Your install path is probably a bigger issue but it's hard to tell from your description.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kdm

Re: DP8 - VST plugins - no GUI

Post by kdm »

Thank you for the reply - here is all I see when I open a VST plugin:

The actual plugin GUI never opens. I have tried both my standard VST plugins path, and setting up a DP-specific VST folder (and changing the path in DP, restarting, etc).

I am running the 64-bit version of DP. Everything in question is 64-bit.
kdm

Post by kdm »

MOTU tech support figured it out, and it was user error on my part. I was just doing a quick test in DP (using another DAW on this project, but considering moving some of it to DP) - I had only setup a few tracks quickly, but hadn't completed routing, and plugins (VST specifically?) won't show a GUI until the track is fully routed. Apparently this is a resource saving measure in DP. It doesn't work this way in other DAWs, so I wasn't expecting that requirement, but it works fine now.

Still getting used to DP - some parts of the GUI and text are very hard to read, but on the flip side, some features are incredibly fast for scoring work. If I only had a week to do nothing but customize key commands, and develop a workflow, I would build a template and move part of my current score over, but that will have to wait. I've run into MIDI timing problems on the other DAW under Win8, but DP has none of those issues - hence my "testing the waters" so to speak.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We should have caught that one. It was staring right at us.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Same thing happens when track is disabled (round blue button)
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

kdm wrote:VST specifically?)
No, AU too.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4