Could use some advice. Possible interface upgrade required.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Could use some advice. Possible interface upgrade required.

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

While you don't really need to read it, this is somewhat of a sequel post to my issue here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 31&t=60107

Background: It appears that there is a compatibility issue between Windows DP and my Focusrite 2i2 and driver. I determined this after testing on a separate computer using Windows DP and the same 2i2 and driver. The TL;DR version: the released Focusrite driver causes crashes and the new Focusrite beta drivers cause pops/clicks (seemingly unrelated to system setup and performance). I believe the ball is in MOTU's court with this, since testing the Focusrite drivers in another DAW worked out peachy.

Issue: I need to score a movie right now. I am borrowing a friend's Akai EIE, which maxes at 16bit/44kHz. I am wondering if now is a good opportunity to upgrade my Focusrite interface. I wouldn't need more than 2 INs, but having enough OUTs for 5.1 monitoring would nice (I think?). Obviously, compatibility with Windows DP is a must, and I'm hoping anyone with suggestions will have direct experience with this. I love my 2i2, but I'm frightened to get a Focusrite if I have the same compatibility issues.

FYI:
- 60% of my recording is electric guitar direct
- 40% of my recording is miking with one AKG C414 ZLS
- I'm not professional but am working at it. My movie projects have been small so far (<$50k budget films)

Any advice will help me. If it's frivolous for me to buy a new interface when I don't do any simultaneous recording, I can get by with my friend's Akai EIE 16bit/44k interface.

Thanks!
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Could use some advice. Possible interface upgrade requir

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok, if your prime target is film, you need to be working at 48K and have the ability to work 96K when the project demands. Pardon me if that is obvious but the OP should never assume that he/she is the only person needing an answer.

Anyway, with that in mind, there are a number of MOTU interfaces that will do the job. The most obvious to me is the 828x but there are others. Without knowing your OS version and hardware, I can't be any more specific than that.

Modern OS is a moving target but Windows more so than Mac. MOTU is pretty good at getting the latest drivers out there as quickly as possible and phone in support is available if your system and the driver installers don't always see eye to eye.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you need something quick and cheap, the Lexicon Alpha does 24/48. It's not the greatest sounding interface, but pretty good for $49, and I have one working fine with Windows 7 and DP. The only issue I've seen is when Windows sleeps, DP loses contact with the interface and has to be reattached in the Setup menu.

Too bad about the Focusrite. I just got one (18i8), and I like it. I don't have the driver problems on the Mac: no drivers are required.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

mikehalloran wrote:Ok, if your prime target is film, you need to be working at 48K and have the ability to work 96K when the project demands. Pardon me if that is obvious but the OP should never assume that he/she is the only person needing an answer.

Anyway, with that in mind, there are a number of MOTU interfaces that will do the job. The most obvious to me is the 828x but there are others. Without knowing your OS version and hardware, I can't be any more specific than that.

Modern OS is a moving target but Windows more so than Mac. MOTU is pretty good at getting the latest drivers out there as quickly as possible and phone in support is available if your system and the driver installers don't always see eye to eye.
Not obvious to me! It's good to know 96k could be required.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit, with DP9. Specs: i5 2500k @ 4.3ghz (will upgrade in a few months), 32gb RAM, SSD drives.

I'm surprised to see some negative reviews for MOTU interfaces that get used on Windows. I was looking at the UltraLite MK3 Hybrid and saw some people had issues.
I did find an 828 mk2 in my area for pretty cheap ($200) and see that's what you're using (in your signature).
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes, an 828mkII will do what you want if you have FireWire or a FW card installed on your PC. There was a USB version but it was discontinued early and had issues.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul04/a ... 28mkii.htm

I would not buy one unless it's really cheap, however. The last mkII was built over eight years ago. These do have components that age and there are no longer repair options available. Many use these as their audio interface so that, when the computer is on, the 828 is, too. Mine is on only while tracking so I expect many more years of life from mine -- but buying second hand, how do you know how it was used previously?

The 838mkIII Hybrid and 828x are more recent. MOTU has a refurb exchange program for units needing repair once they are out of warranty. The mkIII and x support CueMix Fx, a newer version of CueMix than is built into the mkII.

The original 828 can still be found but it neither supports the sample rate you need nor includes CueMix.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
PoliticalBonobo

Thanks, Mike. That is very helpful.

In your honest opinion, would an 828x be overkill for me? I don't plan on recording more than 1-2 instruments at once, but I do plan on monitoring in 5.1 (so the multiple outs are nice), and I certainly do want good audio quality. I'm not certain of much added benefit to me, but then again, I haven't tried an interface in this range before. Maybe the added value is in the audio quality?

In summary, is it overkill for my needs since I'll never record multiple instruments or will it be a great investment into my film music production (and will be something I'll need eventually)? I know it's a hard question to answer, but I'm just trying to figure out if it's a good fit for me. I don't want to buy a Ferrari if I'll only drive to the grocery store and back. But I also don't want to invest in too much "intermediary" equipment, only to upgrade later.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The 828mkIII Hybrid and the 828x are the same except that one supports FireWire (2 ports) and the other supports Thunderbolt (1 port). USB performance and all other parameters are identical.

MOTU dropped the price on the mkIII-H when the X came out so it might be the better buy if you can find new, old stock or used.

In my original reply, I mentioned that you have choices including others from MOTU. My recommendation is based on what I know from experience and your original question.