In a state of crisis. Project crashes, need advice

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: In a state of crisis. Project crashes, need advice

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I recommend reading a book called MIDI Orchestration (4th ed) by Paul Gilreath, if you haven't already.
Just ordered this. MIDI orchestration is one thing I have not read a book on yet.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:
I like doing one cue per chunk, one reel per project.
Silly question, but what do you do when a cue spans longer than a reel? Do you just load the next reel into the project to finish out that cue?
Then you can talk to the editor and ask for the reel break at a different time. There are artful ways to craft music and sound as well but if that's impossible then as the editor/director to change the reel break.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
PoliticalBonobo

I think you would benefit from investing in Vienna Ensemble Pro if you plan to be serious in what you're doing. You'll just need one other computer...and it doesn't need to be that great. Even the most powerful single systems have their quantum limits in being able to run a DAW and "players" in the same system.
I installed VEP (trial license), loaded EWQL Play, and slaved it into my master comp. I created a new project, loaded VEP (which played fine), and loaded ProVerb which caused a crash. I like the thought of using VEP in the future for huge sample libraries, but Play doesn't seem to be causing this crash.
There is (on a Mac - and there must be the equivalent on a PC) preference (plist) files for both the DP app and the MOTU Audio System (MOTU Audio System Prefs). On a Mac that is in the user library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer folder. If you can find the equivalent it would be worth deleting that (while DP is not running, of course).
I deleted the Preferences file. I loaded up Play or VEP, then loaded ProVerb. Lo and behold, no crash. Then I started changing preferences back to how I had them, one by one until it crashed again. It happened when I changed the sample rate to 48kHz. Everything seems to work fine in 44kHz speed, but in 48kHz adding ProVerb after Play or VEP causes a crash.

Does this mean my Scarlet 2i2 can't handle ProVerb? I update the driver for it...
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:Does this mean my Scarlet 2i2 can't handle ProVerb? I update the driver for it...
Nice job integrating VEP, albeit for a later use; at least now you see the potential.

On a blank project, can you add ProVerb to a basic audio track? The reason I ask is because unfortunately, I don't have an answer in getting the ProVerb to actively run on the project but I will propose a work-around:

Bounce all the tracks individually, then run another project with the bounced tracks and add the ProVerb to those tracks.

Just out of curiosity, can you borrow a different interface? Like a FastTrack or MBox? If so, see if that produces different results. Basically, the idea here is avoiding having to spend any money.

I hope you make some progress.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
PoliticalBonobo

Thanks! I've been avoiding using ProVerb and have used DP's other verbs. Luckily, this was just for a demo (although a critical one), so I allowed a tiny bit of "slop". I think I will try to borrow someone's interface and see if it has the same effect.
PoliticalBonobo

Well, I installed Asio4All driver, which I had used in the past on a different DAW and had problems with. Running my project using ASIO4ALL in 48kHz seems to be more stable than when using the Focusrite driver (complete opposite effect in my former DAW life). Adding ProVerb no longer causes crashes.

Things are hunky dory until I run into the next quirk. :D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Document what you do lest you become the expert in making it work. :woohoo:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi PoliticalBonobo,

Lets try this driver : http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1187

Before installing please be sure to remove your current driver and disable any anti-virus software or firewalls.

Are you still getting a crash?

If you are, can you please send us the Crash Reports and submit a ticket here : http://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

To Do this:
Navigate to C:\\Windows\Minidump
Move all the files in this folder to a 'New Folder' on the desktop.
Right click the 'New Folder' and Compress as a Zip File.

This will help us take a look and hopefully find a quick resolution!

Best Regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
PoliticalBonobo

David, thank you so much. I had no idea Focusrite reps were around here. At first glance, the beta driver appears to be working! Running in 48kHz/24bit, I loaded multiple instances of EWQL Play and Amplitube, followed by multiple instances of ProVerb and have had no crashes yet.

It could be too soon to tell if this fixed the issue, so I'll report back after putting some hours in.

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:David, thank you so much. I had no idea Focusrite reps were around here.
Me either. Welcome, David. I'm still using my Liquid Mix with 32 Lives. It's a shame we won't see a 64-bit AU for it. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David_Focusrite

Post by David_Focusrite »

Hi James,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah, that was something that Liquid Mix lovers seemed to take pretty hard, but hopefully there will be a future product that puts a smile on you guy's face!

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Novation Tech Support