Duplicate MIDI Notes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Duplicate MIDI Notes

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

When recording MIDI, DP9 is laying down duplicate, overlapping notes. I read another user's post who had a similar issue, and the problem was his controller sending multiple messages.

I'm using an Oxygen61 and an Oxygen25 keyboard. I installed a MIDI monitor (MIDI-OX), and the inputs look fine.
I play 3 notes, and the monitor only receives 3 notes.

I recorded MIDI in another DAW and it works fine. This makes me think it's DP9 and not my controllers. I turned off MIDI Patch Thru mode and unchecked 'Patch Thru in background' and 'Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru'. Also, I turned off the output on the MIDI track to rule out any routing issues.

I don't think this would be a big deal if I could automatically delete these duplicate notes, but the 'Remove Duplicates' plug-in doesn't seem to work! It doesn't delete the duplicates during recording or after recording (highlighting and selecting 'Remove Duplicates').
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Duplicate MIDI Notes

Post by bayswater »

The only thing I can think to ask is whether you have some DP Interapp MIDI channels set up, perhaps along with another MIDI app running that is bouncing the MIDI back into DP. DP can record MIDI it send out on Interapp channels.

It's of no comfort to you, but as others have mentioned, it is not happening here, and didn't happen when I had the V8 Windows trial running. I haven't tried DP9 on Windows (yet). A MOTU Tech report seems in order.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
abhjkl

Post by abhjkl »

Try with MIDI monitor in dp.
You probably see 2 MIDI in with similar names; when you press a note in your keyboard 2 led will hIghlight. If so, use multi record option and set the right MIDI in for track.
Andrea
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

I am using DP8 on Windows and also have an Oxygen 61. Works fine in my other DAW, but I do have the duplicate notes in DP8. (Although I never tried to problem solve this....)

I will try Andrea's solution and report back.

JJ
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
PoliticalBonobo

Try with MIDI monitor in dp.
You probably see 2 MIDI in with similar names; when you press a note in your keyboard 2 led will hIghlight. If so, use multi record option and set the right MIDI in for track.
Andrea
Thanks, Andrea. I will try this as well and report back.
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

As DP8 is not my main DAW, I haven't been using it for MIDI input. I recently did a reinstall to a new hard drive and I just discovered that my MIDI duplicates problem went and resolved itself. No idea how.

Sorry I couldn't post something more helpful.
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have to add that I have seen this from time to time on my system as well. I can't always reproduce it but it can drive you crazy!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

I just started with DP8. (Newbye here!) That is the first problem I noticed. Since, I select multirecord in the studio menu, and it prevents any duplicate notes.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Edouardo wrote:I just started with DP8. (Newbye here!) That is the first problem I noticed. Since, I select multirecord in the studio menu, and it prevents any duplicate notes.
The fact that this fixes the problem clearly suggests the problem is not caused by DP, but by a controller outputting notes on more than one MIDI channel or a MIDI loop.

Every year this issue arises for several who post about it. Invariably, the duplicates notes are generated or passed through from outside of DP. Just sayin'.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

How does this explain situations where a MIDI monitor is showing single notes, but DP is recording double notes? What is the data flow here and how would that be happening?
PoliticalBonobo

The fact that this fixes the problem clearly suggests the problem is not caused by DP, but by a controller outputting notes on more than one MIDI channel or a MIDI loop.
For most people having this issue: a) controllers work fine in other DAWs and b) MIDI monitor checks out ok.
Sounds like the issue is caused by something in DP to me.
etl17

Post by etl17 »

bayswater wrote:How does this explain situations where a MIDI monitor is showing single notes, but DP is recording double notes? What is the data flow here and how would that be happening?
The MIDI monitor will show single notes because it monitors a single MIDI port at a time. The problem arrises with interfaces that expose more than one MIDI ports (that somehow manage to send the same data). If multi-record is not enabled, then ALL of the MIDI ports will contribute input to the armed MIDI track resulting in multiple notes!
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So the Oxygen 61 has multiple MIDI output ports?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

etl17 wrote:
bayswater wrote:How does this explain situations where a MIDI monitor is showing single notes, but DP is recording double notes? What is the data flow here and how would that be happening?
The MIDI monitor will show single notes because it monitors a single MIDI port at a time. The problem arrises with interfaces that expose more than one MIDI ports (that somehow manage to send the same data). If multi-record is not enabled, then ALL of the MIDI ports will contribute input to the armed MIDI track resulting in multiple notes!
This.

USB can carry multiple ports. I could;t find anything talking about specifics, but noted this in the Oxygen61 Quick Start Guide:

5. Click the first "Receive From" drop-down menu and select the "Oxygen 49 In" port2
6. Click the first "Send To" drop-down menu and select the "Oxygen 49 Out" port2
7. Make sure that "8" is selected in the "# Ch's" drop-down menu and click "OK" to close
the window

Footnote 2:
These MIDI port names will display the number of keys, based on the Oxygen Series model you use: 25, 49 or 61. In Windows XP, the Oxygen MIDI ports will appear as "USB Audio Device" for all models. Install the M-Audio Oxygen drivers (available from www.m-audio.com) in Windows XP for the ports to appear as described above.