DP9 and performance

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NipDog
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9 and performance

Post by NipDog »

Hi folks
Been looking deeper and deeper into DP, and now made first project over from other daw Sonar Artist. Runnings trial now.

What is your experience with cpu usage?

Exactly the same project, but mix is 3-4 more plugs in Sonar.
About 30 tracks, 3 synths and 10 plugs. use about 4G ram.
Synths are all VST2.
Two monitors and mixer view on one and tracks on one.
Two sends or so to a reverb - on DP9.
Sonar got some extra to a chorus.

W7Pro i7-860 2.8GHz 16G ram.
RME HDSP 9632 interface - 64 samples ASIO buffer.

Sonar runs at 5-12% total cpu, occasions up to 18 - no sign of crackles.
3-4 cores shows about 20% cpu.
If having a couple of plugin guis up - needles for levels run fine.
Plugins run VST3.

DP9 runs at 20-25% total cpu, quite often up to 33%, and crackles and pops a little in between. 3-4 cores shows about 60-70% cpu.
If having a couple of plugin guis up - needles for levels stutter and move once every 3-4s. Plugins run VST2.

Have not frozen any tracks, haven't gotten that far in DP yet and none frozen in Sonar either.

Do you have any comparisons?
Maybe one can get this down for DP doing freezing earlier, but a bit concerned how mature this Windows version at the moment?

Is there something to look out for?
I think I did 4 submixes(on both daws) - and just learning about that today on DP.
3 were bundles, and one direct aux.

All has been very stable with DP, no crashes on anything. But it takes 1-2s almost before playback starts each time.

No instability with other daws either, Sonar Artist, Cubase Elements and Mixcraft 7 mostly the last year.

Thanks.

Best regards

EDIT: Remembered that I have the same project in R-e-a-p-e-r 4.7 and here are the results. R-e-a-p-e-r is VST2 only. And it has 15 plugins and 3 synths and 9 sends. Everything else the same, mixer on separate monitor.

CPU stable 9-11% cpu. No sudden peaks like the other. 4 cores at about 22-23%. No sign of crackles or so in audio.
W7 Pro i7-860 2.8GHz 16G ram RME HDSP 9632+AI4S Nvidia GeForce 210
frankymax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 and performance

Post by frankymax »

Are you running your VI's in "pre-gen" or "realtime"? I would recommend Realtime. That ended any audio crackling issues I had.
I hope this helps.
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
NipDog

Post by NipDog »

frankymax wrote:Are you running your VI's in "pre-gen" or "realtime"? I would recommend Realtime. That ended any audio crackling issues I had.
I hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that setting.
It's now default as installed.
NipDog

Post by NipDog »

I did help a lot with "realtime" - no sign of crackles and cpu is more even not jumping around so much. Even to internal audio performance meter looks more calm.

Just noticed that Waves plugins on a mono track get listed as
a)mono->stereo
b)mono
c)mono ?????? should not be there or possibly L+R or something

Could I have been loading stereo versions on mono tracks, not looking out for this. That would take more cpu running a stereo plugin and same mono channel on both processed.

Not sure how this works internally in DP?

On stereo tracks you only get stereo component listed, so no mistake can be there.

Thanks.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

NipDog wrote:I did help a lot with "realtime" - no sign of crackles and cpu is more even not jumping around so much. Even to internal audio performance meter looks more calm.

Just noticed that Waves plugins on a mono track get listed as
a)mono->stereo
b)mono
c)mono ?????? should not be there or possibly L+R or something

Could I have been loading stereo versions on mono tracks, not looking out for this. That would take more cpu running a stereo plugin and same mono channel on both processed.

Not sure how this works internally in DP?

On stereo tracks you only get stereo component listed, so no mistake can be there.

Thanks.
DP uses a wrapper to bring plugins into its MAS audio engine, so that's where the mono->stereo and mono options are coming from. It lets you do stuff like routing stereo outputs of vi's to mono channels, and that sort of thing. DP is pretty picky about stereo/mono, so it's not too likely that you've been running stereo plugs on mono channels.
i know that waves plugs often have different plugins that appear in the list for different i/o combinations or other features, so between that and the MAS wrapper, it looks like there's some confusion going on in there.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.