The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was starting up

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was starting up

Post by Mathematics »

Windows 7
DP 8.07
ASIO Driver for E-MU 0404 PCI-e (I'll consider something different later)

I'm receiving this message:

"The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was starting up"
(MotuAudioSystem Mas [59:0])

This current system has ran stable with its current build for the last 2 years. Live 9 Suite, Melodyne...system has no issues. Just installed DP8 and this.

I'm sure there is something really simple I'm probably over-looking.
DP registered the Vienna Ensemble Pro 64bit plugin and after everything was scanned, I get the message.

Any ideas?

Thanks
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The audio hardware's state changed while MAS was startin

Post by James Steele »

What kind of interface are you using? Have you changed anything? Usually when this happens to me (I'm on a Mac, BTW, but it might be similar thing) it means DP has momentarily lost communication with the audio interface. All cables secure, etc? Probably not it, but trying to help.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I get this message when another program has changed the sample rate of the device. So if I'm running DP at 48khz and I accidentally open or start playback in another program at 44.1khz, I will get that message.

I'd imagine something similar is occurring.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Now that I've moved from the PCIe MOTU line to the AVB line I see it frequently.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

James Steele wrote:What kind of interface are you using? Have you changed anything? Usually when this happens to me (I'm on a Mac, BTW, but it might be similar thing) it means DP has momentarily lost communication with the audio interface. All cables secure, etc? Probably not it, but trying to help.
I'm using the E-MU 0404 PCI-e interface, nothing fancy as I just needed something for handling the audio. The only cables I have connected are the INs and OUTs to a Mackie mixer. I might splurge later and get RME. For now, I'll try to see if another program is changing the cards setting as mentioned by the other members or if there is a conflict with that particular driver in DP8.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

James Steele wrote:What kind of interface are you using?
James, you seem to be quite the authority in this field. I'm thinking of just adding something DP will like. What do you think of this quick and inexpensive combo? (anyone is welcome to answer this)

MOTU PCIe-424 + MOTU 2408 (both probably used just to keep the cost of adding DP to my home studio)

I usually go to all-in-one cards but I'm learning about how some of MOTU's hardware is designed. Correct me if I'm wrong but would this be a reliable combination that is known to work well together for a simple to medium-load recording and playback of sound? I'm obviously going to do some extensive research before spending any money but the more knowledge I have about what I'm dealing with, the better.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think you give me too much credit. And I'm on a Mac, so what I could recommend might not work for you. I have always gone with MOTU interfaces if for no other reason than the assumption that since one company designed both the DAW and the hardware, it should be less trouble free. That's the theory anyway.

As for PCIe-424 based systems, as you can tell from my sig, I'm running one, but I don't know that I'd recommend that route. At least on a Mac like I am, since new Macs don't have slots making my setup's days definitely numbered. I'm not familiar with the Windows side of things, so if it seems slots aren't going away in the PC world anytime soon, maybe that would be the way to go.

Honestly, being a Mac guy, I'm really not the best person to ask. I will move your post though to the Windows specific forum. You posted in the Mac one, so you may get more useful responses over there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

James Steele wrote:I will move your post though to the Windows specific forum. You posted in the Mac one, so you may get more useful responses over there.

I feel embarrassed. Thank you. I believe you actually answered my question. I'll take the "MOTU-based products configuration" route.