No surround VST plugs?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

No surround VST plugs?

Post by kelldammit »

I've got a few, and I'm not seeing any VST plugs listed when a surround bus or track is in play.
Can anyone confirm? Is this a known issue due to the "new" vst support?
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
jonathanprice

Re: No surround VST plugs?

Post by jonathanprice »

Did you find a solution? I've got the same problem. I recently switched from Mac to Windows, so I could be missing something basic. My MAS surround plug-ins show up and can be used, but my VST surround plug-ins don't show up except on a stereo track, or a stereo-to-surround track where they are listed as only "stereo", not "stereo to 5.1" the way the MAS surround plug-ins are listed. Having the problem with R2 Surround, HEar, Solera...anything that's not MAS.
jonathanprice

Post by jonathanprice »

Got this from MOTU support:

VST2 bus architecture is fairly limited. While surround support is possible, it's much better with VST3.

The good news is that VST3 support is on our list and may make it into our next update.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

jonathanprice wrote:Got this from MOTU support:

VST2 bus architecture is fairly limited. While surround support is possible, it's much better with VST3.

The good news is that VST3 support is on our list and may make it into our next update.
Interesting and unusual: MOTU revealed an upcoming feature, and we get reason to have VST3, after the earlier lengthy thread on VST3 that revealed nothing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jonathanprice

Post by jonathanprice »

Latest from MOTU support: I can tell you that we only support mono and stereo (plus side chains) in VST2. This is due to VST2’s limited bus architecture, according to our development team.