DP8 compared to Sonar X3

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 compared to Sonar X3

Post by jsg »

For those wondering about the similarities and differences between these two DAWs, I can relate my experience. I am a classically-trained composer and have produced soundtracks for film, TV, animation, games, documentaries. I've also produced 13 CDs.

I used Sonar for 22 years and switched to DP last month.

DP is a superior program in almost every way. Ergonomics are better, color choices are greater, and, they work. Sonar's color choices have become confusing since they evolved the X series, many color options simply don't work.

MIDI functions are better, there are many more options and the functions have more depth. Quickscribe is superior, it can display tied and dotted triplets correctly, Sonar has never been able to do that. Also, DPs transport memory, though more complex, allows for better navigation control.

In regard to film scoring capabilities, there's no comparison. Chunks, songs, the V-rack and streamers, punches all make for the best scoring options I've seen in a DAW.

Audio: again, DP has more flexible options, particularly with volume envelopes.

Since I am new to DP, I am sure I've missed a lot things. But in general, I know I made the right decision to abandon Sonar, particularly because of the direction the company seems to moving in. In terms of music composition, DP is a professional program, it projects precision, depth and thoroughness.

DP might have a deeper learning curve, but I am biased because in using Sonar (and Pro Audio, etc.) for 22 years, I became so accustomed to the program that it is hard to compare.

JG
Last edited by jsg on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 compared to Sonar X3

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Cool! Welcome aboard. I didn't initially find the learning curve in DP too bad, but getting used to the nomenclature and workflow took a bit of doing.

I'm on tapatalk do can't see your sig but do post your website and imdb page so we can gawk. :)

Mike
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jsg

Post by jsg »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Cool! Welcome aboard. I didn't initially find the learning curve in DP too bad, but getting used to the nomenclature and workflow took a bit of doing.

I'm on tapatalk do can't see your sig but do post your website and imdb page so we can gawk. :)

Mike
Last edited by jsg on Sun May 24, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsg

Post by jsg »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Cool! Welcome aboard. I didn't initially find the learning curve in DP too bad, but getting used to the nomenclature and workflow took a bit of doing.

Mike
I'm Jerry. Nice to meet you Mike.
I'm working now on the 3rd movement of my 9th symphony, the first piece I've done in DP.

Here are the first two movements: http://www.jerrygerber.com/symphony9.htm

And my site is: http://www.jerrygerber.com

Best,
JG
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks. Can't wait to have a listen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Cool seeing people post about DP on Windows without mentioning bugs etc.
I would guess that DP will eventually seem the easier of the two. I often get asked to help people set up their DAWs and of all the DAWs I found Sonar the most confusing. The only thing I think is at times confusing about DP is the relation of Chunks to Sequences and how you decide to work on material that way.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Welcome, Jerry!

What a refreshing, reassuring and inspiring post first up, mate. Awesome.

Here's hoping your love affair with DP will be DeeP.
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
komposer

Post by komposer »

I'm with you Jerry (Classic education and desire for usable notation inside the DAW). Although I've been using Sonar for far fewer years (since 2007) I am adding DP8 to my list of tools and so far have been impressed by the professional features and maturity of the program.

I've also been struck at how Cakewalk has regressed recently in some serious areas and has not focused more on professional features.

For me Sonar has been a good learning platform and I'll leave it at that.