Locking

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
blueslash
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Locking

Post by blueslash »

Is there a way to lock individual soundbites in position?

I tried the "Lock" icon in Tracks View, but that doesn't seem to do anything, I can still move soundbites, automation, or anything else for that matter. Page 148 in the manual says everything should stay anchored to it's current frame location.

Not a biggy, just curious if this is a Windows glitch.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Locking

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I believe locking is not meant to prevent YOU from moving soundbites, but prevent them from moving when you make changes such as tempo. The idea is that if you have a cue with SFX (for example) and you change the tempo of music in another (MIDI?) track, the SFX will remain where they are. Checkout the section in the manual about timestamps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
blueslash

Post by blueslash »

Ahhhh.Thanks MLC.

So I assume there's no way to lock individual soundbites in tracks?
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't use that feature. Again, there are user time stamps v. original time stamps. I just don't work that way to provide an authoritative answer. IOW: I just don't know. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Assigning a user time stamp to every soundbite is, IME, a viable way of "locking" your audio to the current time line.

You can assign a user time stamp to all your SBs in one fell swoop. This could act as some kind of insurance policy where, if things got messed up, you could return them to their original positions with the related command with one click.

I sometimes do this when I experiment moving things around and messing with tempo and arrangements.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

I knew someone smarter than me would appear. Thanks, FM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

FMiguelez wrote:Assigning a user time stamp to every soundbite is, IME, a viable way of "locking" your audio to the current time line.

You can assign a user time stamp to all your SBs in one fell swoop. This could act as some kind of insurance policy where, if things got messed up, you could return them to their original positions with the related command with one click.
Several years ago, I was recording a band in the studio. I left the room for a moment, and my partner ending up inadvertently shifting all the soundbites completely out of order (that's still a mystery to me). Well, I immediately opened the paper manual and quickly found the Timestamps reference. One key-command and everything was peaches and cream.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
blueslash

Post by blueslash »

Thanks guys. I do the same as you all when things get outta whack, which is pretty rare.

What I used to use locking SBs in Tracks for was in a Post Audio situation.

Simple example:
If I need to make up a some time in a Voiceover (not on camera) I could lock all Soundbites in the track,
unlock the section I want to tighten up and remove breathes using Ctl-J,
which will nudge all following SBs forward that aren't locked,
which can shorten the time without having to timestretch the track.

Like I said, not a biggy, I can dupe the track, edit it and copy it back, but it's extra steps.

Anyone know a shortcut to select from the cursor position to the end of the last SB in a track? This would save me from zooming out, making the selection, then zooming back in.