Clock Issues? Help!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Ksmccarthy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Clock Issues? Help!

Post by Ksmccarthy »

Recording drums today in my studio and major issues all day with MOTU MKii shutting off during recording... at times was able to get it to work only to stop...

Suspected clock issue with my setup, but possibly tower issue or even mkii went bad... not sure

Struggling with this for some time so any help is appreciated.

Setup

PC Windows 8.1
Motu MKii Firewire
Adat
32 x 8 analogue board.
Got all latest drivers from Motu site

I use the MKii and the adat for 18 tracks record at the the same time ( 8 from 8 dat and 10 with mkii)
Had this setup for years only recently had problems as I upgraded to 7 then 8 then 8.1

I have everything plugged in correctly and I am able to get it working, but MKii occasionally stops working (screen goes blank, then turns it self back on or sometimes stays off until I turn it on and off)and I have to turn it off and on for it to work again and configure drive etc...

The ADAT clock has always been set to INT 48K and the when I configure driver I have Internal as clock source, 48 K 24 bit integer and 30 fps

For a little while I though that changing the clock source to ADAT optical might be the answer and that seeemd to help in the past and it crashed less, but it didn't help today.

after having issues in a recording session all day, having to record for 10 15 minutes then it shutdown then I have to start it over, turn it on and on, configure the drive etc... probably 20 times... Now tonight it's a little more stable with the clock on Internal on DP.

The other thing is that DP runs very slow and crashed on me a few times on top of the clock issue problem...

I have PC Tower - Intel Quad Core i5 2310 CPU @2.90GHZ 3.10 GHs with a 2 TB hardrive with about 1.4 free

It seems to take a long time after recording a 5 minute song for me to be able to even save it.

I am wondering if anyone has a similar setup and wondering

1. What should the clocks be set to on ADAT and in DP?
2. What should I configure the driver to?
3. Is my computer tower not fast enough, good enough? I have a lot of programs on it and stuff running, etc...could I be pushing cpu, ram, etc...
4. Is it possible that the 828 went bad? it's been a part of my studio for year... (I had bought it for an old G5 mac)
5. Any suggestions for how to keep the MKii from stopping during a session or at all?
6. Beside this issue, I love this setup and get great sounds to tape I just need to get MKii set.
7. Do they have 16 input in a single Motu unit better than Mkii and how much?

There is a lot here , I apologize just trying to give as much info as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Kevin
Ksmccarthy

Re: Clock Issues? Help!

Post by Ksmccarthy »

Another recording session today and more 828 cutting out, DP crashing etc...

Called Motu tech support, they think it might be more related to the 828 going bad because it shouldn't just stop... it shjould stay on all the time...

if I turn it on and off it goes right on, but it messes up DP and sometimes crashes DP...

My next step then is a new 828 unless someone read this post and sees something I might be missing or had similar problem...

If I get another 828 and I am still having problems then it might a computer issues but leanign toward 828 being the problem...

it's tough to trouble shoot these things... it's even toughter to have to stop a session especially a recording going well because the interfaced shutoff on it's own!

ANy ideas are appreciate thanks!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

I think it's pretty clear from your description that the 828 is malfunctioning. It's quite old. The only thing I'd try before giving up is a different power outlet and power cable, just to be sure it's getting a sufficient and stable supply.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Ksmccarthy

Post by Ksmccarthy »

OK great... thanks yeah, hate to go on and on about my situation, but you know what it's like when you just don't want to give up trying different stuff... I did try plugging right into wall... but I used the saem chord, myu be chord issues...

I do know when it is "taxed" with a lot of info - multi-tracking with adat etc... that it seems to go off more often, Motu support said the same thing it lead to believe it's an power issue with 828...

when it's just "on" and not being used it stays on...

Thanks!

Kevin
Wool
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Wool »

I have everything plugged in correctly and I am able to get it working, but MKii occasionally stops working (screen goes blank, then turns it self back on or sometimes stays off until I turn it on and off)and I have to turn it off and on for it to work again and configure drive etc...
Are you interested in test-king - ccna certification itil? Get our self paced toefl test ccna and passguideitil study packages to pass your without any difficulty in uconn.edu lsat. keiseruniversity.edu