Bundled plugins cause DP8 to crash

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
laryan
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Bundled plugins cause DP8 to crash

Post by laryan »

I was working through tutorial 3 and initially had no problem with the plugins used in the example. But now, when I try to load those same plugins - Model12, Bassline, and Modulo, I get an error message that DP8.exe has stopped working. I see these in the plugins list in preferences. This happens in both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

I have no problems loading East West Play. Does anyone know why the bundled plugins would cause DP8 to crash?

Thanks.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bundled plugins cause DP8 to crash

Post by monkey man »

This is so ridiculously rare on the Mac that it's almost unheard of.

FWIW, given the DP plugs' performance on said platform, you could at least reasonably expect similar stability once things have been smoothed out a little more. I mean, it's probably yet to mature a little on Windows.

Then again, I'm not sure how permissions work in your case... worth exploring?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

We are talking about a licensed copy of DP, right?

Perhaps try disabling/removing all the plugins, add them in one at a time, to see if it is just one culprit. You should also make sure you have updated everything to the latest version.

Have you raised a Technote with MOTU?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dmerkel

Post by dmerkel »

If you're running DP on Windows 8.1 (possibly 8, though I have no experience with it) are you selecting "Run as Administrator"? I had a few minor glitches with DP after migrating to Win 8.1 that were cleared up after making that slight change when firing up DP. Just a thought.
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hmm... I did mention permissions. It was hard to imagine it being anything else...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
laryan

Post by laryan »

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I was able to resolve the problem..partly.

To answer some of your questions, my OS is Win 7 pro 64 bit. I have a registered licensed version of 8.07, and I made sure I was running the program as an Administrator.

The only change I made to my computer after installing DP, was to install a driver upgrade for my RME Fireface 400. I did a system restore to the old driver and the problem with the plug-in instruments was resolved.

But, none of the other effects plug-ins were available when I tried to open the DP guided tour example. I noticed an error message the next time I opened DP that said the audio drive wasn't recognized. I couldn't think of a workaround to that, so I did a complete re-install. Everything is running ok now.

Thanks for your suggestions.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

You didn't say before you were running RME gear - have a look at this thread, lots of grief over RME.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ce#p494801
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This does happen on the Mac side, too. The symptom is an error message that x plugin can't be found.

With DP 7.24, when this happens, it is always after a (seemingly) unrelated install or update. I don't even keep track on the causes anymore. The fix is to run the Uninstaller in the Install drop-down menu, then reinstall. Repair Permissions.

With DP 8, the last time for me was during the update from OS 10.9 to 10.9.1. Reinstalling and Repair Permissions fixed it. There is no Uninstall for DP 8 nor have I found manual removal necessary.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro