Motu Audio Express Problems

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FTD
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu Audio Express Problems

Post by FTD »

Just bought a Motu Audio Express. Installed the drivers and software and and nothing is coming out of it. I'm on Win 7 64 bit and connecting via USB 2

It can "see" the computer as I can change the sample rate on the Audio Console software it changes on the unit. However when I try to play any audio (DAW, wav, mp3) it refuses to play whenever I have the Motu set for output.

If I change it to default or a non-Motu setting, I can see what is playing in the meters of whatever application's I'm testing it with.

Any ideas?
FTD

Re: Motu Audio Express Problems

Post by FTD »

Update - just installed it on an old laptop running Vista. A few tweaks regarding the sample rate and is running fine across all applications I tested it on.

Replicated the settings on the desktop and still no sound. Any ideas where to go next? I tested the USB 2 port I'm using with a flash driver and that works. My mother board is an Asus H87M-E, the box says CPU Support LGA 1150 if that means something.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Does your PC also have usb 3? If so, there are other threads on this (use Advanced Search) and MOTU support can help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FTD

Post by FTD »

Hi Mike,

Yes it does and I've spent the last 48 hours going through the forum in the hope that something will work. Nothing as yet.

Raised a support ticket with Motu so hopefully someone will get back. The anticipation and excitement of upgrading my card has long passed and I fear that if this is a compatibility issue that will never be solved, I'm seriously out of pocket as I know the store won't issue a refund.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Usb 3 has been a thorn for both Mac and PC. A big part of the issue is that they are two different protocols, there is no compatibility at all and they use different wires in the cable. That the problems originate with Intel is no help, of course.

Many Mac users are solving these issues by using a powered hub in between their interface and the Mac.

I have been reading that PC users have been uninstalling the USB 3 drivers to make some usb 2 devices behave. Hopefully, MOTU will have better info.

Problem is, this is Sunday, you have some time and want it working now. Been there too many times.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FTD

Post by FTD »

mikehalloran wrote:Problem is, this is Sunday, you have some time and want it working now. Been there too many times.
Isn't that the truth.

Anyway, I think I've fixed it by disabling all USB 3 drivers. For reference and anyone else searching the forum.

F2 when booting will take you into the Asus BIOS screen.

Goto Advanced > USB and set xHCI to disabled.

Save, exit and restart.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... chterm=usb