Yamaha Motif XF8 not in MIDI Device List??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
laryan
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Yamaha Motif XF8 not in MIDI Device List??

Post by laryan »

I am very surprised that the Motif XF series is not included in the .midnam/middev patch list. I think this is a huge oversight. I have spent quite a bit of time searching for these files online, or for information explaining how to create them. Seems the only tools to do this are Mac applications. My OS is Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

I was able to find and import the instrument definitions for the Yamaha XF8 to Sonar with no problem, but those are .ins files. I found a .midnam file for the Motif XF7 online and copied it to the MIDI Devices/Yamaha folder, but I can't figure out how to edit the .middev file to include it as an instrument. I don't see the patch lists for the Motif XF7 .midnam file when using the Bundles MIDI edit feature, but I can see patch names for other older Yamaha devices that were pre-loaded in DP8.

Can anyone help me add the right files so that I can select Motif XF patches from the default patch box in Track View? I need to be able to select the default patch for multi-track recording. I don't want to rely on the sequencer in the Yamaha to remember patch/bank information.

I'm extremely disappointed with the MIDI set up for DP8 for windows so far. I'm a new user so I'll try to remember there is a learning curve with a new DAW.

Thanks very much.
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yamaha Motif XF8 not in MIDI Device List??

Post by monkey man »

Hey there, laryan. Welcome to the forum, mate!

If you can open them using a text editor, you could try the following tweaks:

For .midnam files
Very near the top of the page, you should see something like the following:

<MasterDeviceNames>
<Manufacturer>Yamaha</Manufacturer>
<Model>Motif XS 8</Model>
<CustomDeviceMode Name="Mode 1" >

Change the highlighted name and you're done.

For .middev files
Scroll down the page until you see a machine similar to yours. The devices are listed in alphabetical order. The highlighted name below is the determining factor for said order, making it easy to "scan" as you scroll downwards. You should see something like this:

<MIDIDeviceType Manufacturer="Yamaha" Model="MOTIF 8" SupportsGeneralMIDI="true" SupportsMMC="true" IsSampler="false" IsDrumMachine="false" IsMixer="false" IsEffectUnit="false" >
<InquiryResponse Manufacturer="43" Family="00 41" Member="7E 04" />
<DeviceID Min="1" Max="16" Default="1" Base="1" />
<Receives MaxChannels="16" MTC="true" Clock="true" Notes="true" ProgramChanges="true" BankSelectMSB="true" BankSelectLSB="true" PanDisruptsStereo="false" />
<Transmits MaxChannels="4" MTC="false" Clock="true" Notes="true" ProgramChanges="true" BankSelectMSB="true" BankSelectLSB="true" />
</MIDIDeviceType>

Once again, change the highlighted name and you're done... almost. If the device is similar enough to yours (XF7 vs XF8), you shouldn't need to change anything else. If it isn't, the odd tweak of the definitions may be necessary. They're self-explanatory. However, looking at the example above, I see no reason that you'd have to alter anything for it to work well with the XF.

Let us know how you go, eh?

Oh, one small issue you could run into concerns the format of the file you save. Be sure to specify the document as being of the UTF-8 flavour. I had a Hell of a time wondering why my tweaks didn't appear in the various Mac apps until I made this discovery. If you glance at the top of either file in the text editor you'll see the format specified as such. Silly me, I was ignorant of these sorts of things.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
laryan

Post by laryan »

monkey man, thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Your reply was greatly appreciated. Followed your suggestions and can now see the Motif XF patch/bank lists. Awesome!

If anyone else is using DP8 (Windows) and want to access the patch/bank lists for the Yamaha Motif XF keyboards, the .midnam can be found in the Motifator forum. Copy it to the Yamaha folder under MIDI Devices in DP. In the same Yamaha folder you will see the .middev folder with a list of instruments. Follow monkey man's instructions.

I think the key to this is to be sure the Model Name in both the .midnam and .middev files are exactly the same.

Now I'm ready to spend more time learning the other features in DP.

Thanks again, monkey man...you rock.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Awesome, laryan!
:headbang:

Yes, the device names must match precisely, letter-for-letter.

I do appreciate your thanks, mate; put a smile on my face.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Romanp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Romanp »

I am using DP10 on a Mac. I want to be able to select Motif XF patches from with DP. Thus saving the MIDI bank and program numbers for recall with each DP song/tracks. I used to do this with Logic years ago.

Frustratingly my searches of the Motif XF manual, DP manual, googling etc have so far not taught me anything about how this could be achieved. The Motif manual talks of a VST plug in for the Motif XF called the Motif editor VST which apparently sets up the 16 MIDI channels and patches.

My understanding is that in the Mac OS 'Audio MIDI Setup' the specific device (MIDI module) and it's patches can be loaded. The Motif XF is not there by default. The previous Motif XS series are though. The DP manual seems to claim that this will result in the patch names showing up in the DP MIDI track settings.

I have posted on the Motivator forum as well. It is frustrating that using an industry standard MIDI keyboard with a DAW and having patch names in the DAW is such elusive info in the manuals and the net.
Help.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Romanp wrote:I am using DP10 on a Mac. I want to be able to select Motif XF patches from with DP. Thus saving the MIDI bank and program numbers for recall with each DP song/tracks. I used to do this with Logic years ago.
You can download XF8 midnam here: https://digicake.com/midnams/

Maybe someone else can help out how to setup in Windows. It’s a little different from the Mac, but MOTU has basically programmed something similar to AMS for Windows. I won’t be in the studio for several days so best of luck.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Romanp

Post by Romanp »

Thanks Charles.
I have downloaded a Motif XF midnam file from digicake's website. I am instructed to go to:/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU folder
I have entered ~/Library into the 'go to folder' to show the Library folder in Mac OS Sierra.
I go to the 'Audio' folder. In the 'Audio' folder there are these folders:
MIDI configurations
MIDI drivers
Plug-Ins
Presets
Sounds

Do I need to create a folder called MIDI devices/MOTU to put the midnam file in? Am I missing the midday file which I have read about?

I will also be using the Roland Fantom XR, Nord Lead 2, Korg Tr Rack and Juno 106 files. Nothing there for my Korg Wavestation SR or SE1X or DX27. Maybe I can edit my own patch name file?
Last edited by Romanp on Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Romanp wrote: I have downloaded a Motif XF midnam file from digicams website. I am instructed to go to:/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU folder
I have entered ~/Library into the 'go to folder' to show the Library folder in Mac OS Sierra.
Try instead, Mac HD>Library>Audio>MIDI Devices>MOTU
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Romanp

Post by Romanp »

As my post clearly explains. A 'MIDI devices' folder is not in the 'Audio' folder. I have just tried creating a folder hierarchy Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU/Yamaha and placing the midnam file in there. But it doesn't show up in the Audio MIDI Setup, A lot of other models show up in the Audio MIDI Setup, MIDI device properties window. Heaps of famous makes and models. Where are these files contained? Perhaps that is where the midnam file I have for the XF should go as well.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Romanp wrote:As my post clearly explains. A 'MIDI devices' folder is not in the 'Audio' folder... Where are these files contained?
You are looking in the wrong Library folder.

Top Level of you Boot Drive (NOT User) then follow the directions provided previously.
From Yamaha: Open up the Finder to the “HARDDRIVE/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU/Yamaha” directory.
The files are there. I just confirmed.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

You need to create the .middev entry also. You can add it to the existing Yamaha.middev or create an additional middev file with the XF as the only entry. You need to be careful that the device names in the midnam and middev files match exactly. Here’s a document from Roland that explains the location of the files:
https://www.rolandus.com/patch_script_b ... readme.pdf
There’s no instruction on how to create the middev entry, so you’ll have to model that on the existing middev file. Make a backup copy of the middev file if you choose to edit - complex and easy to mess up.

For your additional Roland synths look here: https://www.roland.com/us/support/patch_script_builder/
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1