Velocity point

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
byland
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Velocity point

Post by byland »

Hello!
I test a demo of DP and there’re two thing I don’t works for me. First the Velocity point is to tiny so is hard to manage easy and the second thing is I don’t find any way type in cords name on sequences, in Cubase there are cord track, in Logic you can type in text every sequence or region, so you can do a cord track of that. Of course you make markers but they are to small in DP. Is there any one how have any tips.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Velocity point

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I think you can use the Quickscribe or lyrics to enter chord names. You can select velocities by click and dragging either over notes or the little points in the MIDI or sequence editors. The shape tools can quickly makes these quick and easy to edit. You can also use the "region" menu items once notes/velocities are selected. Finally, individual "event" information can be edited by entering the value. Select the note or event in question and click on the aspect you want to edit in the small event section at the top of the edit window you are working in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikeharper
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mikeharper »

Is there anyway to make the velocity points larger? its way too small.
thanks
DP10
Asus 490a, Win 10 pro,
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 Audio & sample drives
16G ram. MOTU 8A USB3-Thunderbolt
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea. It's the same with the Tempo marks in the Conductor's graphic editor.

Folks have been talking about how some aspects of the UI are too small and not easily readable or grab-able, editable.

Hard to say if MOTU will address this in a future update/upgrade. But MANY of us are hoping.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can edit the image for the velocity icon. Someone uploaded one for DP 6 here, and AFAIK it still works. A complex search will probably locate it.

Or, you can learn to use the various shaping tools. Although they work on a range of notes, you can usually get what you want.

If you need to micro edit individual notes, you can click hold and drag the velocity field in the information window at the top of the MIDI editor, or open up the Event List in a sidebar so you can see the graphic display and the note info for a range of notes. Again, you can click and drag the values in the Event List. Save this layout as a Screenset and you can get to it with one key press.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

bayswater wrote:You can edit the image for the velocity icon....
bays, could you elaborate on that?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I can't remember when was the last time I selected a velocity by clicking on its handle...

I assumed everybody selected them by clicking/ dragging over notes or over the automation lane.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you open up the Digital Performer application file by right clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents, you can see a folder of image files here:

Digital Performer ▸ Contents ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj ▸ Images ▸

Most of these are png files and can be edited with applications like GraphicConverter, Photoshop, etc. I do this by Option Dragging the image I want to edit onto the desktop to get a copy there. After editing, I option drag it back into the folder it came from and let it overwrite the original.

Now we have themes a lot of the images are specific to the theme you use, and these are in bundles you can find here:

Macintosh HD ▸ Library ▸ Application Support ▸ MOTU ▸ Digital Performer ▸ Themes

The process is the same: use Show Package Contents to get into the bundle and look at the images there.

The usual rules apply: make backups of everything.

An edited velocity icon was posted by OLB on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm in this thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=51416

I see you downloaded OLB's velocity icon several months later.

There was another modified velocity icon for DP 6 uploaded much earlier. I can't remember who did that.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:I can't remember when was the last time I selected a velocity by clicking on its handle...

I assumed everybody selected them by clicking/ dragging over notes or over the automation lane.
If you are editing the velocity of a lot of specific notes, that involves at least twice as many actions. But it's just too awkward to catch the icons, so to micro edit specific notes, I use the event info window at the top of the edit window, or the event list and drag the values. To edit velocity of phrases, I use the keyboard shortcut to bring up the velocity window.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, but then you still have to click on one of the tiny icons (note-on velocity) belonging to the selection, whether it's for a single or multiple notes, 'Nandito.

Great to see you're still loose in these here woods, brother. Hope all's well man.

Oh yeah, someone did post a theme where these had been increased in size. Can't remember who or where, but I'm guessing it was 4 years ago. Of course, one could always just try substituting one's own, or increasing the size of the existing ones using Preview.

The usual caveat of saving factory icons first goes without saying, so I won't say it. Doh!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

monkey man wrote:Yeah, but then you still have to click on one of the tiny icons (note-on velocity) belonging to the selection, whether it's for a single or multiple notes, 'Nandito.

Great to see you're still loose in these here woods, brother. Hope all's well man.

Oh yeah, someone did post a theme where these had been increased in size. Can't remember who or where, but I'm guessing it was 4 years ago. Of course, one could always just try substituting one's own, or increasing the size of the existing ones using Preview.

The usual caveat of saving factory icons first goes without saying, so I won't say it. Doh!
Hola, Nicky!
Great hearing from my simian cousin again! :)

As for the velocities, I ALWAYS box select or click on the notes to select them, and then use the Change Velocity command to mess with them.
bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I can't remember when was the last time I selected a velocity by clicking on its handle...

If you are editing the velocity of a lot of specific notes, that involves at least twice as many actions. But it's just too awkward to catch the icons, so to micro edit specific notes, I use the event info window at the top of the edit window, or the event list and drag the values. To edit velocity of phrases, I use the keyboard shortcut to bring up the velocity window.
Interesting! What do you mean by the bolded quote?
You mean you drag the numeric value to the note, or the other way around?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:What do you mean by the bolded quote?
You mean you drag the numeric value to the note, or the other way around?
I could have been clearer. I mean place the mouse cursor over the Velocity value in little Event Info strip at the top of the MIDI Editor window, press the mouse and drag it up and down to change the velocity value. You can do this with most, of not all, value fields in DP.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote:...place the mouse cursor over the Velocity value in little Event Info strip at the top of the MIDI Editor window, press the mouse and drag it up and down to change the velocity value. You can do this with most, of not all, value fields in DP.
That's my current method for adjusting single notes. I use the various region commands for groups of notes.

ON A RELATED TOPIC (feature request) I do wish there was a "velocity adjust" automation track that would basically have a +/- 127 values. At zero, the note velocities pass thru unchanged.

This would allow you to scale your original performance and add crescendos/decrescendos, etc. But keep your original velocities. I know there are plug-ins for some of this, but automating it would be more intuitive and practical for tweaking.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com