Track Solo-ing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jackvanderlee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Track Solo-ing

Post by jackvanderlee »

I'm a DP newbie... Or actually, due to health reasons, after so many years I'm back in sound recording and DP is still my favourite. Lots has changed for the better with DP8. But.. in one of the previous versions, there was a 'solo' function in the tracks window. Hitting this button made a track play, well... solo. Not anymore. It's such a basic need: Playing a track solo 'on the fly'.

Yes, I DID read the user guide. I went over the 'Soloing Tracks' paragraph numerous times, with the explanation about the very confusing Blue, Grey and Orange status. Maybe I'm just plain stupid, but I haven't been able to make it work the way I want to. Meaning: Having all tracks playing, simply hit ONE button to hear one track solo, then hit the same button to hear ALL tracks again.

Who can help me out?
Thx so much.
blueslash
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Track Solo-ing

Post by blueslash »

Maybe I'm missunderstanding your question, but as long as you don't enable the Solo button, the big "S" to the left of the preroll button, solo buttons in the Mixer window work like normal.

When grouped you can solo any track in the group to solo the group or hold G to bypass the grouping and solo just the track you chose. Mute works the same.

This doesn't work in the Sequence or Tracks windows as there is no Solo or Mute buttons, just Play which is an On or Off state. Straaaange :shock:
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Track Solo-ing

Post by mikehalloran »

This applies to Audio. MIDI has additional commands but this will get you started.

The manual is confusing on this issue. There are three places to look.

The first is your Track in the Sequence window. If your inputs and outputs are set up correctly, the second button with the is the Play Enable button. Is it yellow, green or clear/white? I'll get back to this.

The second is the Control Panel; the third is the Mixer.

Look at your Control Panel. There is square with a small s. If that s is yellow, then all tracks will Mute except the ones that you Solo. Play Enable will toggle between yellow and green. Yellow is Mute and green is Solo.

If the Control Panel s is clear and all tracks are Play Enabled (Play Enable is green), then clicking on the button will toggle between Play (green) and Mute (white). Option-Click on Play Enable to Mute all tracks except those you want to Play. To reset all tracks back to Play you can click on Play Enable (green) and drag your cursor over all tracks or Shift-Command on any one track, then click again.

Mixer: The Solo and Mute buttons on a Mixer track will affect both the s in the Control Panel and the Play Enable.

With all three windows visible, you'll see that double-clicking on a Mixer Track's the Solo and Mute can change the Control Panel setting as well as Play Enable. The best recommendation I have is to make all three windows visible, try everything I've mentioned until it all makes sense.

Again, the above applies to Audio tracks. Some of these commands can be changed in Preferences and MIDI has additional key combinations, best explored in the User Guide.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro