Notes doubled on MIDI recording

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Notes doubled on MIDI recording

Post by stubbsonic »

The usual checklist for troubleshooting doubled-notes and MIDI feedback issues:

1. Check keyboard's channel and LOCAL on/off settings, or other layering features (as mentioned above) -- which you don't feel is necessary because it is working with another DAW. -- You didn't mention if the other DAW is working in Omni mode (listens to all inputs/channels) or if it has input settings that would correct this (as it did in DP).

2. Check for problems with MIDI THRU settings This doesn't sound like an issue in this case, because if DP was is sending the input notes back out (via THRU/ECHO settings) to the keyboard and the keyboard is bouncing them back-- you'd have a feedback loop.

3. Look at the Audio MIDI Setup (sorry,the Windows equivalent) to see if the device/driver settings are causing something weird to happen there. I've seen with the Mac OS that some drivers cause a keyboard to be seen as an interface, and require a dummy device to be added as a keyboard-- but this might cause some weird glitch. But maybe Windows is better at handling core MIDI stuff?

4. Look in DP for some other possible source of MIDI doubling.

5. Get a MIDI Monitor app (I'm sure you can find one for WIndows). This simply looks at the MIDI input bus and shows you everything that is coming from your keyboard. It is useful because it might say what channels things are coming from.

6. Alternatively, you can go into Multi-Record mode, and click on the input field to see all the sources that DP is listening to. See if the doubled notes are both coming from the same device on different channels, or from two different devices. You might be able to delete one of the devices.

CQrity, we can hear your frustration. This kind of issue IS a pain-in-the-ass to work out. But this is not a typical problem in DP, but it does come up occasionally. Good luck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Starting to sound like denial and the intervention isn't helping. One last comment: YOU don't have to change the keyboard mode for the mode to change. A MIDI message can do that.

Have you tried a different controller? Have you even checked the mode your controller is in?

That's all for that nickel.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

CQrity wrote:Nope it isnt.

Right now my input is set to ALL MIDI channels of my audio interface. In addition I didnt touch my keyboard settings. As I wrote above I also tried to record MIDI in Studio One and had no problems. If it was a keyboard problem the same problem would have had to occure in Studio One. As it didnt my keyboard settings are fine.
Not being a studio one user I cannot summarily dismiss your categorical denial of my assertion. However I would still encourage you to check your controller as it is possible studio one handles MIDI channelization differently than DP does.
CQrity
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CQrity »

You didn't mention if the other DAW is working in Omni mode (listens to all inputs/channels) or if it has input settings that would correct this (as it did in DP).
You got a point there.
CQrity, we can hear your frustration. This kind of issue IS a pain-in-the-ass to work out. But this is not a typical problem in DP, but it does come up occasionally. Good luck.
Thanks man. As I finally got it working as described above its allright for me. :dance:
Have you tried a different controller? Have you even checked the mode your controller is in?
I dont have another controller handy. Just the DP internalt MIDI Keyboard witch works fine.
Actually my cotroller is a stage piano. I restarted it, which generally resets it. In any case it has just two out channels activated, one of them is muted.
However I would still encourage you to check your controller as it is possible studio one handles MIDI channelization differently than DP does.
Yup, thats right.

Whatever guys, thanks for your help! For now Im satisfied, as I can work again, just checking the multiple thingy solved all issues and I even dont have to do any further routing, as the default setting works fine :band:
miscou
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by miscou »

I had the exact same problem. I fixed it with Studio menu - MIDI Patch Thru - then remove check on "Sync Recorded MIDI to patch Thru".

good luck,
Miscou