New to Digital Performer

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stuartjmoran
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New to Digital Performer

Post by stuartjmoran »

Hi,

Ive just downloaded the DP8 demo for Windows with the intention of switching from Cakewalk Sonar X2 to Digital Performer for live use.

The main reason for this is that Im a keyboard player in a band and want to be able to use Digital Performer for my live rig set-up.
From what my research tells me I should be able to call up my patches on my hardware and use a V Rack to use my VST instruments.

Cakewalk works well with set lists and setting up patches for my ext MIDI keyboards however to use softsynths is a much slower process in the setup. This is where V Racks come in and the main reason to switch to DP.

The main thing I need to do in DP8 is patch changes and saving these settings. Also MIDI routing. This is all achieved with creating MIDI tracks in cakewalk using the input and outputs to route my devices and I set patches by using cakewalk instrument definition files.

My Main first point is there an equivalent to instrument definitions (patch lists) I have a Korg Krome and a Yamaha MX that I use. If so how do I create them. I have read about cherry picker but this is a MAC app and Im a windows user. Is there some equivalent to this app for PC. Im at a lose end. V racks and the idea of saving live shows is what most appeals to me.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New to Digital Performer

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might search the forum for "DP live in performance" as there are quite a few threads about that.

One immediate method (and I don't use DP live) might be to have the V--Rack but set up sequences (DP calls them "chunks") and have a key command or MIDI message setup to change the chunk. In the various chunks you could setup all the patches and have them load as a bank. You might have to have the sequence start to effect the changes but again, that can all be automated with keys on the PC and/or a MIDI message.

I'm sure others will jump in later today with alternate plans to accomplish your tasks.

I don't know about the PC equivalent to Cherry Picker.

Welcome to MN. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Re: New to Digital Performer

Post by Michael Canavan »

stuartjmoran wrote: My Main first point is there an equivalent to instrument definitions (patch lists) I have a Korg Krome and a Yamaha MX that I use. If so how do I create them. I have read about cherry picker but this is a MAC app and Im a windows user. Is there some equivalent to this app for PC. Im at a lose end. V racks and the idea of saving live shows is what most appeals to me.
Yeah there is, and you should be able to find some way to translate your Sonar patch lists over to DP. Cherry Picker is one way for sure, but if Sonar has already defined your files, there's got to be a way to get that information to DP. :)
I have to run off to work, but I think this is a translator issue. .ins to midnam.

short search pulled this up.
http://www.aatranslator.com.au
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello Stuartjmoran,

You can try this:

http://www.midizone.de/en/

Check the documentation first though.
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
stuartjmoran

Post by stuartjmoran »

Cheers for that the download worked a treat and I now have 2 midnam files for My Yamaha MX and My Korg Krome.

I have copied them into the C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\MIDI Devices\motu\
Then the Krome in the Korg folder
and the
MX in the Yamaha folder.

I thought that would be it but they still aren't recognised in digital performer. Been into the Bundles set-up and they are not listed.

Only had this programme a day once I can get this setup I can start learning how to use it.

Cheers in advance
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:[...]One immediate method (and I don't use DP live) might be to have the V--Rack but set up sequences (DP calls them "chunks") and have a key command or MIDI message setup to change the chunk. In the various chunks you could setup all the patches and have them load as a bank. You might have to have the sequence start to effect the changes but again, [...]
AFAICT, if your patch changes are inserted at the very beginning of the MIDI tracks, and if MIDI track outputs are set to your VIs sitting in the V-rack, calling any chunk (= sequence) will load the patches present in that chunk. Fast and easy...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stuartjmoran

Post by stuartjmoran »

I have been looking at chunks and V Racks and that's exactly what i'm looking for. A the minute i'm still stuck with midnam file. I have tried it in every directory possible still cant get DP to see it. Im at a loss with this now.
adriano

Post by adriano »

stuartjmoran wrote:I have been looking at chunks and V Racks and that's exactly what i'm looking for. A the minute i'm still stuck with midnam file. I have tried it in every directory possible still cant get DP to see it. Im at a loss with this now.
Hi stuartjmoran.

Did you download from the link I posted?

Did the app also created a .middev file? If not, go to the Yamaha and Korg folders where you placed the .midnam, find the .middev file(s), open them and and add your device model. If you look closely inside those files, there are device names for .midnam files already created in the folders.

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

stuartjmoran

Post by stuartjmoran »

Hi,

Yeah downloaded your app that was brilliant thankyou it let me import my cakewalk insturment defintions for my 2 keyboards and then export them as midnam files. So cheers i really appreciate that

I have opened the middev files but they dont make much sense to me at the minute.
I keep trying, i just dont really understand the middev file.
adriano

Post by adriano »

Hello again,
Have you also tried the following step:
Please, visit link http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... st#p485712

Look at the answer from Mike @ MOTU in the white box-fist post