Anyone Seeing Weirdness with LiveRoomG?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Anyone Seeing Weirdness with LiveRoomG?

Post by kelldammit »

Every so often, I'll insert it, and then DP starts behaving as if my CPU is absolutely slammed, although it's not. Basically, the mixer lights stop bouncing, transport time displays stop counting, and playback cursor scrolling stops.
If i click on any of the above, like a mixer fader, the meters will start bouncing again, until i let it go. it just suddenly goes like that, but never returns to behaving correctly, even though cpu's at around 25% per core.
restarting dp seems to cure the issue. it doesn't happen every time, but frequently enough to be a bother.
has anyone else had similar trouble?
thanks!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
klamm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone Seeing Weirdness with LiveRoomG?

Post by klamm »

Hi Kelldammit,

Yes, I noticed the same issue. Exactly what you described.
It looks like a bug already occurring in the previous version...
As I don't use Live Room, I have never contacted tech support about it.
Besides, yes, LiveRoom is really heavy on the CPU.
Live 9, DP 9.01, Max/Msp, Machfive 3, UVI Falcon, U-he Bazille & Diva, GRM Tools, 2C-Audio, Izotope...
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

No proof, but I suspect it's a DP issue rather than a CPU issue many times. I can compare activity monitor versus DP headroom metering and find DP slammed, but activity monitor showing lots of system headroom.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

A few days back I set up a guitar channel strip with Analog Chorus, RenComp, ACE30 and LiveRoomG to try to get a specific sound. This was with audio monitoring on. It worked fine rehearsing along with some bass and drums in MachFive, but when I put this channel strip into record status, the guitar sound broke up like it might when there is CPU overload.

Does this sound like the same problem? It seemed fine before I clicked the Record button. I didn't necessarily think it was the LiveRoomG plugin, but I guess it could be.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

Did a little more digging this evening. It appears that changing the amp setup (custom'59) or sometimes, the cabinet type in LiveRoomG will trip it off.
Sometimes (but not always), changing one of these settings will cause a cpu peak. The cpu quickly returns to normal levels, but the gui stops at that point. Interestingly, if you click on a fader, you'll see the mixer leds and counter come to life again, until you release the mouse button.
Saving and closing the song doesn't cure it. You have to close DP altogether, and re-open, at which point, everything works fine again, with the amps/custom settings in place.

cheers

kell
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
klamm

Post by klamm »

I experienced this issue as well, Bayswater.
I prepare a set up with LiveRoom included, when I start to play : a big and scary "POP!" comes out of my monitors and then the audio track is completely silent. I found that adjusting the buffer size solves the problem...

Have you guys on Mac OS ever faced the GUI freezing issue, kelldammit spoke about?
Live 9, DP 9.01, Max/Msp, Machfive 3, UVI Falcon, U-he Bazille & Diva, GRM Tools, 2C-Audio, Izotope...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It was not a buffer size problem in my case.

As for GUIs freezing, I've had it happen on a few VST plugins, never AU or MAS.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jambo175

Post by jambo175 »

I posted this exact same behavior back in July of this year, after spending a considerable amount of time with MOTU tech support. The problem for me occurs with ALL the LiveRoom plugins. This is how I described it to MOTU support:

"Inserting any of the LiveRoom plugins to a track causes all the displayed animations (counters, meters,etc) to freeze. If I click and hold the mouse on a fader animations resume, let up and it stops. The audio still plays and all of the Liveroom features work, I can add cabinets, mics, change levels, but it only takes a short amount of time before the display freezes. The fix is to save the session, close and restart DP8. If I leave live room running in the background, and don't open it everything works ok."

MOTU suggested I R&R DP8, I did with same results, even after latest upgrade. Please report your issues to MOTU tech support so that they can take another look at it. Sounds like many others are having similar issues.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

Reported on my TechLinks...hopefully i hear something back soon.

Thanks!