Probably the worst daw i've tried

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Probably the worst daw i've tried

Post by cuttime »

Best DAW I've ever used:

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

ThT and a Miss Piggy boombox and the world is a very hoppy place. Moi oink!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

I'm still trying to figure out what 'echooing' is.... 8)

I think this guy is upset (since he's a windoze guy) because he can't use Garageband or Logic 'Pro' X, which would suit his dumbed down workflow perfectly.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

jlaudon wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what 'echooing' is.... 8)

I think this guy is upset (since he's a windoze guy) because he can't use Garageband or Logic 'Pro' X, which would suit his dumbed down workflow perfectly.
Don't forget; he's got Cubase and Reaper. What else could you need?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Shooshie wrote:
jlaudon wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what 'echooing' is.... 8)

Don't forget; he's got Cubase and R•••••. What else could you need?
....and if Cubase users stick around long enough they get poor copies of DP features, Cubase's rip-off of pitch automation was only about 7 years late! and nowhere near as good.

Come to think of it I've never had a musician proudly tell me they use Cubase, it's always more of an apologetic confession!!
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This reminds me of being out with friends. Me: "We really like [restaurant name], it's great." "Really??? That place is terrible! A friend of ours got food poisoning there, too! We can't stand that place!"

Can't people just not like something without loudly announcing it and making sure to ruin everyone else's day too?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I don't have a problem with anyone complaining about DP. The forum does have "criticisms" in the title after all. The line that really bothers me is:
jujube wrote:I don't understand how you guys enjoy working with that daw.
I guess if you've been here a while and everyone knows you, you can get away with a statement like that, but from a first time poster I find it kind of offensive.

I guess I'm just old school. I come from a time when common courtesy was the norm. Oh well, color me obsolete.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

jujube wrote:I don't understand how you guys enjoy working with that daw.
Because we learned how.

Yea, we get that there are many things that you don't understand. :shake:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh man... I haven't read the original post yet... but the subject header caught my eye. I'll move to the Windows section after I post this.

I think, Shooshie, you said this might be why MOTU might need to add an all-in-one MIDI/VI track to DP. There might be some truth in it. I think we're beginning to see the influx of DAW users who have perhaps NEVER seen a multi-track tape machine, or a patch bay, our have any experience with routing an audio signal through hardware effects. They do not have any experience with the idiom that mature DAWs like DP are based upon. What makes so much sense to those of us who are familiar with that is foreign to people who never stood over a console with friends assigned to mute or pull faders down while the mix was going down "live" to a 2-track tape machine.

I had a friend years ago who was very much into animation and one of the problems for people who dove into animation on computers without any grounding in the old-school techniques employed by artists who did that by hand, is they weren't aware of many of the fundamentals. He explained "squash and stretch" to me. A cartoon character's face will widen or narrow depending on facial expression or while talking. Many of the newbies who had never done line drawings by hand never heard of this and their animations would look wrong. Many of the best computer artists I ever knew had spent some time with a charcoal pencil and sketch pad at some point in their lives.

Just a weird, random observation, but we live in interesting times where the multi-track tape idiom that early DAWs used in order to relate to the experiences of their potential customer base, is no longer a common touchstone to many new DAW users.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jujube wrote:You want to open a Virtual instrument track? Joke! You have to combine regular MIDI track with the VI one...
I don't understand how you guys enjoy working with that daw.
Because we've probably been doing this a lot longer than you have. The separate tracks thing made a lot of sense if you knew something about how DP evolved and that there used to be hardware modules and the like. If you had experience with tape machines and mixing boards from years past, DAWs were designed to be relatable to those people. I would guess you're 30 or under? BTW... you posted in the Mac forum so I've moved your post/rant.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

jujube wrote:I've tried and worked with many Daw since Voyetra ;-) Cubase,R•••••,Sampl.etc. DP8(win.)is by far the worst.Layouts(Font)-MIDI(terrible echooing) wich is unacceptable. Asio crash on every opening of the Soft. You want to open a Virtual instrument track? Joke! You have to combine regular MIDI track with the VI one...
I don't understand how you guys enjoy working with that daw.
The good thing, it's no more on my Pc. Good luck
I don't know how in the world you got anything done with those older programs if you seriously can't figure out DP. It astounds me the limited amount of steps in problem solving it takes for some people's heads to short circuit. I personally still use 3-4 DAW's in my work because none of them handle every single task to my liking. I'd hate to think of your melted brain pouring out your ears trying to handle what I do.