Trying out DP8 - plug in trouble. Help please?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
trtzbass
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Trying out DP8 - plug in trouble. Help please?

Post by trtzbass »

Hey everyone!

I downloaded DP8's demo version and I am enjoying it quite a bit.
I'm new to it but I already see DP has a great workflow and I'd like to adopt it as my DAW of choice.
Only thing is, I'm experiencing some compatibility issues with a few plugins I always use.
I'm a happy user of the Tonebooster line of plugins(they are cheap and work great, you should check them out), but for some reason the GUI is slow and sluggish. they work just fine, but it's hard to use the virtual knobs because they are quite unresponsive and of course the meters are choppy and delayed.
I kinda have the same trouble with Slate's VCC. They work fine, but they don't seem to recognize the inner routing between the mixbus and the channel plugins. Also, the virtual VU meter doesn't move.

Any of you experience the same issues?

Thank you so much for your help and have a great day!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trying out DP8 - plug in trouble. Help please?

Post by FMiguelez »

Are you running them pre-rendered or in real time? Make sure it's the latter.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
trtzbass

Post by trtzbass »

Hey, thanks for your prompt answer.

I'm running them in real time
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

How about your buffer size?

If you're mixing, you should set it as high as possible.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

When I did the Windows demo, I noticed a couple of 3rd party plugins that had slow screen refresh rates. There are some VST plugins that do the same with the Mac version of DP (e.g. PSP StereoAnalyzer) but work fine with DSP-Quattro. So there may be an issue with some VST plugins in DP.

Might be worth looking at the 8.07 update to see if that helps. And be sure to tell MOTU in a tech link if none of the suggestions work. I'm sure they tested with a lot of plugins, but it's not possible they tested all of them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

I've run into this too, on 8.07, primarily with EQuilibrium in analog phase mode. Very sluggish GUI, and the signal coming out of the plugin is delayed. In zero latency analog phase mode, everything behaves fine.
So it might have something to do with plugs that introduce a lot of latency? It is pretty annoying.
it happens both with pre-render and realtime, and at high buffer settings (1024 for mixing).

[EDIT] after some more checking, in zero latency analog phase mode, the gui is still sluggish, but the audio doesn't lag[/EDIT]
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
etl17

Post by etl17 »

+1
Has anyone reported this issue to MOTU already?
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

I have reported to motu, they've confirmed the issue (at least with the dmg plugins), and passed it along to development.
I don't have any TB plugins, so you should probably do the same.

cheers,
kell
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
NipDog

Post by NipDog »

Seems to be in DP9 too - running trial.

Mostly Waves I run, the needles on VU meters on compressors and EQ move now and then, 3-4s apart maybe. Had serious problem to move a knob on one Maserati ACG among other things. No continuous movement at all, only steps clicking at ticks on scale.

It do this on first plugin I have floating gui on. Haven't tried if it behaves differently docked somewhere, if that is an option.

So it doesn't seems like reported issues 9 month ago got any attention.
W7 Pro i7-860 2.8GHz 16G ram RME HDSP 9632+AI4S Nvidia GeForce 210
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

NipDog wrote:Seems to be in DP9 too - running trial.

Mostly Waves I run, the needles on VU meters on compressors and EQ move now and then, 3-4s apart maybe. Had serious problem to move a knob on one Maserati ACG among other things. No continuous movement at all, only steps clicking at ticks on scale.

It do this on first plugin I have floating gui on. Haven't tried if it behaves differently docked somewhere, if that is an option.

So it doesn't seems like reported issues 9 month ago got any attention.
The problem i'd reported applied to DMG Audio plugins, Toontrack Superior2, and RP Punch. Those gui's no longer lag in v9. I don't have any waves plugs with busier guis, so i can't confirm whether or not they're (still?) broken.
I'd probably open a techlink, but they'll most likely just say that DP (PC anyway) isn't supported by waves yet.