MIDI Latency on Record and thru

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
xmission
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Latency on Record and thru

Post by xmission »

Hi All,

I've been using DP for a few months now on a new fast PC, and have a couple of weird things with MIDI

I have a Casio PX-5S and a Line6 Mobilekeys49. Both go usb into the computer. I also have a Focusrite Scarlette 18i20 that is only being used for audio, though DP sees it's MIDI interface.

If I set up and instrument track with kontakt, setup a new MIDI track and play either keyboard into Kontakt it is perfect. The problem show up when I record. As I am playing along with existing tracks, there is no audible problem, but when the recording is done, the MIDI data winds up about 1.5 seconds late (didn't measure, just my guess).

Now if I do not route the track to Kontakt, but just play with nothing to hear, the timing is exactly correct (in other words I'm jast playing the keyboard, and can't hear anything).

One more bit of weirdness. I had thought that maybe this was a Kontakt issue, and that the data somehow went through Kontakt first before being recorded, so I decided that I'd use the PX-5S to make the sound (I play the Line6 and expect to hear it on the Casio), but it plays late all of the time, not just when recording.

I'm stumped.

Oh, I can see MIDI hit DP on the MIDI monitor immediately

Thanks very much for any insight you might have.
xmission

Re: MIDI Latency on Record and thru

Post by xmission »

Well I figured out the first part. Sync Recorded MIDI to patch though was on. Disabling put the recorded MIDI in the right spot.

Now if I could figure the delay out to the Casio, I'd be all set, but at least I can record in sync now.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wonder »

I'm having the same issue ...

I have a pianist in right now and after touting all my great VI's ... there's so much latency from struck note on the piano to the output of the VI that it's unusable in the performance sense.

I have deselected SYNC RECORDED MIDI TO PATCH THROUGH but that didn't change anything.

My buffer right now is 256.

I have a line out from his keyboard and recording that along with MIDI via USB. The note differences are so audible we are having to listen down to the stock piano sounds off his keyboard.

ANY suggestions? Would love for him to play through my great VI's live.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by wonder »

Even though I'm not using the "Monitor through Effects" selection ... I did come across a thread that talks about OZONE.

I had OZONE on my Master Bus. I deleted it. And the latency is virtually gone.

I hope this helps someone.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
xmission

Post by xmission »

Thanks for the posts.

DP definitely has some quirks :), but I still like to use it allot.

I do feel like I'm back in my twenties when I was beta testing Cakewalk though :)