Ridiculously Bad Performance New Project i5 3.5ghz 16gb RAM

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Ex-Cubase Guy
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Ridiculously Bad Performance New Project i5 3.5ghz 16gb RAM

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

Hi guys, this actually my first post here as I only just got DP8 today with my new computer. I have been a cubase guy for a long time but I knew a lot of composers (like me) use DP and I really liked the look of it so decided to have a go.

My computer is a brand new windows i5 4690 3.5 ghz, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd beast that should be able to run a full orchestras worth of samples.

My soundcard is an Edirol ua-25, not great but it does the job and it's worked fine in the past with cubase. (just so you know I was running it at 288 samples... not that it should matter with so few instruments and processing.

I installed all my plugins and kontakt and shortly loaded up one instance of kontakt into vracks in a new project. I got up just one instrument and wacked on full articulations and mics (something even my old computer would have done easily 20 times over) and all seemed well until I tried out the MIDI editor and then pretty much every note was making the processing meter in the top right spike and with multiple notes it would crackle.

Now I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or it has to do with the whole computer, although the rest of my computer is ridiculously fast which makes it confusing. I'll be installing cubase again soon to make sure that it isn't the same on that though I'd be surprised. I guess potentially it might be a kontakt problem but I'm really not sure.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

P.S sorry if any of that doesn't make sense, it's 3 oclock in the morning here. haha
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i5-4690 3.50 Ghz
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
Asus Ranger VII Motherboard
Ex-Cubase Guy

Re: Ridiculously Bad Performance New Project i5 3.5ghz 16gb

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

One other thing is in the 'configure hardware driver' window asio is selected and asio driver is 'ua-25' (Y)
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP on a Mac here but if it's anything like that, the spikes in the CPU meter and associated alert, if any, is a long time issue in DP. If it's not already disabled, disable the alert (audio prefs, I think) and if it's not creating a performance issue of any other kind (clicks and pops) just ignore the peaks.

Usually in larger or CPU intensive sequences a smaller buffer is better for tracking (recording) while a larger buffer is better while editing and mixing.

Sorry I don't have PC chops, but what I duss out from the board, DP still has a few kinks to work out on that platform.

Welcome to the board!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Ex-Cubase Guy

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

Thanks man but it's actually clicking and crackling when it reaches the top of the cpu meter. Just found a thread with people seeming to have similar problems, looks like DP8 isn't very well optimised for windows or something :cry:
Though still doesn't mean it's isn't something else exacerbating it (i hope :| )
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd call MOTU when you can. Their tech support has gotten quite good.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Mac guy here, too, but I deal with Windows on a daily basis. If this peaking only happens when you open the MIDI editor, I'd be willing to bet that there is some kind of feedback or doubling of the audio signal or MIDI data. Check your monitoring modes and Audible modes. I'd also check your Meter Bridge to see if you are getting peaks there. A good MIDI monitoring utility is a must, but I don't know of one for Windows. Anyone?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Ex-Cubase Guy

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

cuttime wrote:Mac guy here, too, but I deal with Windows on a daily basis. If this peaking only happens when you open the MIDI editor, I'd be willing to bet that there is some kind of feedback or doubling of the audio signal or MIDI data. Check your monitoring modes and Audible modes. I'd also check your Meter Bridge to see if you are getting peaks there. A good MIDI monitoring utility is a must, but I don't know of one for Windows. Anyone?
Hi there, it's not just the MIDI editor but the keyboard in kontakt, sequence and quickscribe. That being said where would I look at the 'monitoring modes or 'audible modes'? Thanks
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
Ex-Cubase Guy

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

Ex-Cubase Guy wrote:
cuttime wrote:Mac guy here, too, but I deal with Windows on a daily basis. If this peaking only happens when you open the MIDI editor, I'd be willing to bet that there is some kind of feedback or doubling of the audio signal or MIDI data. Check your monitoring modes and Audible modes. I'd also check your Meter Bridge to see if you are getting peaks there. A good MIDI monitoring utility is a must, but I don't know of one for Windows. Anyone?
Hi there, it's not just the MIDI editor but the keyboard in kontakt, sequence and quickscribe. That being said where would I look at the 'monitoring modes or 'audible modes'? Thanks
Something to add is that it (the processing meter) spikes each time there is a MIDI note played and spikes and clips every time an MIDI off note is played. Monitoring modes held no avail, and I can't seem to find audible modes. Also cannot seem to find anything suspicious in the meter bridge (though I'm not exactly sure what to look for), how would I got about finding a loop in the system?
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

If it has something to do with the audio driver, you can try using the device via ASIO4ALL rather than selecting the audio device directly. I have two audio devices that have issues with their native drivers, but work fine with ASIO4ALL as a workaround.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Ex-Cubase Guy

Post by Ex-Cubase Guy »

NazRat wrote:If it has something to do with the audio driver, you can try using the device via ASIO4ALL rather than selecting the audio device directly. I have two audio devices that have issues with their native drivers, but work fine with ASIO4ALL as a workaround.
Hi there, yep just installed Cubase 6 again and yep, started off with the generic drivers and thought '•••• yeh! Fixed', realised i hadn't got my UA-25 (had so many problems with this card :evil: ) drivers up and then it went to •••• again.
Would the ASIO4ALL drivers work as well as the soundcard drivers would if they were working properly? As it would be stupid shelling all this out for a new computer just to have to use inferior drivers. :banghead:
Windows 7 64 bit
16GB 1833ghz Ram
1TB SSD
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

In my experience sometimes ASIO4ALL performs better than the native ASIO drivers. It does some kind of blue smoke and mirrors thing with the WDM drivers. The provided drivers for the card provide both WDM and ASIO so they need to be installed. The device can be accessed in the apps either way. If you haven't used ASIO4ALL before, read the docs before you get going - short and to the point. This may or may not help, but worth a try.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Might be good to get a new audio interface...
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23