Movie Slows Down DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Eddy Yates
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Movie Slows Down DP8

Post by Eddy Yates »

Haven't been able to find any solutions in the MAC forum, and the one offering from Tech Support was to abandon the project and open it as a new one, assuming corrupted files. HOWEVER....I started this project fresh, and when I delete the video, it runs fine. Inserting an MP4 movie in the project makes everything run slow, from saving, to moving the cursor, to making cuts...everything. I have done many many movies on Sonar X1 with no problems. Any ideas? Thanks. Oh, I'm not using ANY plugins, and am running instruments from my MUSE VIP, so that's not the reason...besides, when I delete the movie, everything returns to normal fast speed. The suggested codec is the one I'm using, and that is the H.264 codec. The only thought I have is that this MP4 video is good for MAC but not for Windows, but I can't find any info on that.
Last edited by Eddy Yates on Mon May 19, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 8.06, Sonar X3e, Sony Sound Forge, Windows 7, 16 Gigs RAM, Intel Core i7 4.0 GHz, RME Hammerfall, UAD-2Duo, MOTU MIDI Express 128, MUSE Receptor VIP, Deagan Round-top Orchestral Bells, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Clavinet D6, UA 2-610
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Movie Slows Down DP8

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd re-export the movie in a different codec like .mov .264 and at a lower resolution for starters. Before that, you might also move the movie file to a different drive (not just a different partition) and reselect it. It could be a slow drive that is causing problems. Might be fast enough for audio but not for video.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

7200 rpms not fast enough!? I guess maybe 10,000 would be better, but I used that speed of hard drive doing many movies before on Sonar X1. I'll try using a smaller video file. Thanks.
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

OK. Tried a bunch of different video formats in DP8 and it still ran impossibly slow. I opened a new project in Sonar X2, put the video up, and it's running like clockwork. I would really like for DP8 to run well. Would be good to hear from somebody else using Windows who has DP8 working flawlessly with video, because I think DP8 is probably the program I've been looking for. Right now, it's just very frustrating, and this proves it's not just my ineptitude.
MIDI Life Crisis

Sorry I missed you are on a PC - not that it should matter.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Yeah, I don't think it should, since X2 is running on the same computer with the same video file.
frankf

Post by frankf »

FWIW and I'm on a Mac, I run QT h.264 in a RAM disk for heavily loaded projects, but essentially what MLC wrote

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks for the replies, M Nation. Just don't understand why the video file runs smoothly on Sonar X2 using exactly the same system and latency.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Eddy Yates wrote:Thanks for the replies, M Nation. Just don't understand why the video file runs smoothly on Sonar X2 using exactly the same system and latency.
Might be because this is MOTU's first version of Digital Performer for Windows and they don't have as much experience with Windows DAW issues as the Sonar folks. Just guessing... :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

yeh, James. Like we say in the studio, "I love what you're trying to do, MOTU." So I'll just keep doing what I can do on it, pray for the next release, and do my movie work in Sonar.
MIDI Life Crisis

Not as bad as Finale 2014. It has lost the ability to play most movies completely. It's not even a good door stop.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

OK. Although 2 different MOTU tech support guys suggested 2 entirely different codecs, I tried avi on a whim, and it seems to run great. Can't explain it, but there ya go!
DP 8.06, Sonar X3e, Sony Sound Forge, Windows 7, 16 Gigs RAM, Intel Core i7 4.0 GHz, RME Hammerfall, UAD-2Duo, MOTU MIDI Express 128, MUSE Receptor VIP, Deagan Round-top Orchestral Bells, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Clavinet D6, UA 2-610
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Eddy Yates wrote:OK. Although 2 different MOTU tech support guys suggested 2 entirely different codecs, I tried avi on a whim, and it seems to run great. Can't explain it, but there ya go!
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Bayswater, did you mean to include a reply or was that repost a slip of the hand?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Eddy Yates wrote:Bayswater, did you mean to include a reply or was that repost a slip of the hand?
I did. Don't know what happened to it. The question was: as a matter of interest, when you were running this in Sonar, what movie codec/format was it using?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8