Transition from Sonar to DP8 Windows

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Eddy Yates
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Transition from Sonar to DP8 Windows

Post by Eddy Yates »

As I get to know DP8 better, it's all and more than I expected. The tough part is shaking out of a different way of thinking with Sonar, but once I figure out the DP8 method, it's way better, with much more flexibility and many more possibilities. One thing I can't find that I liked in Sonar is a shortcut for showing all the sequence tracks on the screen. In Sonar, that was Control F. Any info? Thanks.
DP 8.06, Sonar X3e, Sony Sound Forge, Windows 7, 16 Gigs RAM, Intel Core i7 4.0 GHz, RME Hammerfall, UAD-2Duo, MOTU MIDI Express 128, MUSE Receptor VIP, Deagan Round-top Orchestral Bells, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Clavinet D6, UA 2-610
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Transition from Sonar to DP8 Windows

Post by NazRat »

Not sure if your talking about zooming in DP, but ctrl-alt-down arrow will reduce all tracks in the sequence editor to their minimum (max number of tracks shown). Then ctrl-alt-left arrow will show everything horizontally. You can set these zoom levels as the default or to a key sequence. Search the Commands Window (shift-L) for zoom command keys and options.

The Tracks Window overview might help out also. Not quite sure what the equivalent is in Sonar.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks, Naz! I appreciate the quick response. That's not quite the same as what Sonar does. i.e. If you have 6 tracks, the shortcut fits all 6 into the full window. If you have 12, it fits all 12 into the full window. Is there a shortcut like that in DP? Thanks.
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Nothing? Hmmmmm....
Guess I should ask for that in the next version. Seems like a necessary thing.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Something like zoom to fit - don't think it's there, but there are some pretty creative folks around here. Sometimes for stuff like this, you might get more responses in the Mac forums where the majority view. Just do the Windows translation for the answer.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks, Naz. Good idea. I'll head for the MAC forum.
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Nothing there except the suggestion Naz gave. Looks like a feature request.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

Eddy Yates wrote:Thanks, Naz! I appreciate the quick response. That's not quite the same as what Sonar does. i.e. If you have 6 tracks, the shortcut fits all 6 into the full window. If you have 12, it fits all 12 into the full window. Is there a shortcut like that in DP? Thanks.
I the TO window, select the tracks you want to see in another editor, like the SE. Then, simply press Control-Command-E. This will open the SE showing only the selected tracks fitting in the window perfectly.

If you press option while resizing a track with the hand, all visible tracks will adjust to that same size. Pressing control resizes the current one and makes the other tracks as small as needed to fit them all in the window.

If you want your selected tracks to open in the mixer (only those tracks), press Shift-M.

This last one depends on if you're using consolidated windows or not, and a setting in the preferences. The point is that the mixer will hide whatever there was, and only show the selected tracks. From there, it's a Cakewalk (pun intended) to select additional tracks you may want to see with the track selector.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks. I can see that me trying to work the way I did in Sonar is not only futile, but counter-productive. I'm not being facetious. All of your advise is actually better than that Sonar way. More choices makes it a little daunting at first, but better later. I appreciate the help. While I'm on it, I posted another problem in getting RealGuitar 3 to work. Must be something I'm not getting.